Thursday, December 12, 2013

No spectators please

With fame and popularity comes certain things. You lose a measure of your privacy. You become a source of constant curiosity. Your every word and action is scrutinized. It is a large price to pay. I can appreciate that. I do not feel sorrow for these people however, at least not the ones that went in search of this fame. The ones that it happens to, accidental like, I can empathize with. It would be a big pain in the butt.
These thoughts were brought to mind with the memorial service for Nelson Mandela. He has been lying in state for seven days. Now he has been moved to another location for another two days. The people are lined up by the thousands to say goodbye. That is a fitting tribute to a great man. The thing is, I wouldn't want that. With his fame and popularity I feel like he is being placed on display for ten days. The same thing happened to Abraham Lincoln. He lay in state for awhile, was moved across the country, by train, and displayed everywhere along the way. It just doesn't seem respectful to me. Should I gain sufficient fame and die, do not do that to me. A couple days is enough. One for " viewing ", a ritual I despise in the first place and one day to bury me. That's it.
The whole viewing thing is a concept I really don't understand. People standing around saying how " good " you look. People I am dead, not one of my better looks. I just think of it as morbid curiosity. I much prefer remembering someone as I last saw them living. These extended viewings just kinda creep me out. I mean it is bad enough when you know the person passed two days ago but ten days ! I know there are those that say they just want to say goodbye. I'm in heaven, hopefully, and can hear you from anywhere. You do not need to speak to my body. Believe it. Do not be a doubting Thomas and demand proof.
I know this is in contrast to social convention. It is just the way I feel about it. I do go to " viewings " and funerals. I go for those left behind. If it can give them some comfort it is the least I can do. I do think it should be a highly personal thing however. Only those closest to the family should be in attendance. Those that are not would be more like spectators. I don't want any spectators at my funeral. I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment