Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A rewarding mystery

I remember this as being a time of the year for mystery. For two weeks or so before the arrival of Christmas that was the case in my home. Questions asked where usually met with, none of your business. Or the ever popular, if you want Santa Claus to come you had better be good. Santa doesn't like nosy children. There were definitely forces at work, behind the scenes, that we children were not aware of.
The Sears Christmas Wish book was our mall. I spent hours looking through those pages, circling things and marking the pages. Before it was over, between myself and my siblings, half the pages were folded over on the corner. Dear Mr. Sears did have it all. If Sears didn't have it, you probably didn't need it. J.C. Penney did pick up any slack though.
The toys appeared on Christmas morning. I never saw any before that time. Where and how Mom and Dad kept those packages hidden I can't be sure, but I have never asked. That would be like having the magician explain his trick. I have chosen to leave that answer to guess and speculation. There may be a few gifts under the tree from a close friend or relative, but that would be the extent of it. Santa always arrived on time and those packages were always wrapped nicely with your name written right on them. Santa, or one of his elves, had handwriting just like my Moms', isn't that strange coincidence. Well, given their ages they probably went to school together.
At what age I lost my belief in the whole Santa thing I can't say for sure. That was a tale that just melted away like the snow in the springtime. I remember speculating about it, but not wanting to admit to it. It was best not to risk it, after all, if he knows when you are naughty or nice, who knows what else he could know.
It is a wonderful tale for children though. The concept of a jolly old elf that will fulfill your wishes, as long as you are good. If you think about it, it is an introduction to belief. Do what is right and you are rewarded. Without going into a whole big thing about the origins of Christmas, Chris Cringle  or any of that, I think it is a safe analogy. The lesson is the same, doing the right thing always pays off. Always, even for an Eternity. The first requirement is belief. Belief will lead to faith. Faith leads to action. Action gets results. In the end the believers, or the faithful if you prefer are rewarded. Really, it not so much a mystery after all. Although they do say, God works in mysterious ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment