Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Days of Yore

On Christmas Eve when we came home from the candlelight service, cupped inside our hands would be a small white candle with a round paper drip shield on it. The candle had been lit at the end of the service and the object was to get it home still lighted. We all wanted to bring the light of the lord into our home. I believe that task was accomplished a few times and others it was not. It was a tradition and one that I miss.
Once we arrived back home with those candles it would be time to eat. Mom made us a light meal, as it was getting late and we were just too excited to sit still. The tree was trimmed and the lights turned on. There were already some gifts under that tree. Some had been there for days now, and the curiosity was killing me. The ones with my name on I had picked up, given a shake, judged the weight and size, and even tried smelling. The guessing would be over in the morning. I had already decided which one I would open first.
Before too long it was announced that we were to go to bed. That meant, go upstairs and stay there ! Off we would go, my brothers and my sister. Of course, we couldn't sleep and would lie there talking and speculating about what we would get. There was talk of wishes wished and amazing toys. There was talk of Santa Claus. I was the youngest, but my siblings never disputed his existence in front of me. When we grew tired enough we would just lie there in silence listening. I remember hearing sounds of people moving about down there. I remember thinking, I hope Mom and Dad go to bed soon, Santa won't come if they are still up !
Waking up and realizing it was Christmas morning was so exciting. It was here ! We were not to come downstairs until we were called. We would sneak down those stairs and look under that tree. The presents were there ! The ones on the edge I could see the names on, but the ones buried underneath were not visible. We couldn't disturb those gifts or Mom and Dad would know we had been here. I wonder why we thought that now, they were in bed when Santa came, so how would they know ? Well, it is Christmas magic. Back up the stairs we went to wait. When the call finally came, we raced down those steps. Then we were halted in our tracks, stockings are first ! It was that way every year and was a surprise every year. The first thing to be done was to sit and empty your stocking. There would be candy and small trinkets. In the toe of that stocking there was an orange, every year. That is a tradition from my Mom. Now Dads' stocking had a can of beer in the toe and a carton of cigarettes, Santa is a pretty liberal guy. After that it was, go for it. What excitement followed. I can't be sure but I don't think I ever opened that present I had worried over for days first. I think it was always buried in the back and wound up being last or close to it.
And that was Christmas eve and morning at my house. After the gifts were open and the paper cleaned up it was time for breakfast. At some point we would all get in the car and go visit the aunts and see Grandma. Christmas dinner wasn't a big deal at our house. I seem to remember having ham. Ah, for those days of old.

No comments:

Post a Comment