Saturday, January 7, 2023

what I said

  I made a brief posting about how Facebook is being used. Now I do log on to that platform every day. I'm an early riser. I made it a habit to post a digital salutation each morning, a brief Good Morning, targeted at anyone that chooses to respond. I'm pleased to say that has worked out well and I have a number of "regulars" that return that greeting. I miss them when they don't respond and become concerned when it has been a few days or so. When someone is missing from the neighborhood. It is not unlike the town where I grew up. You knew many of those folks by name or reputation, passing them on the street with a nod. Still if they were missing you noticed that. It was the casual acquaintances that colored the background of everyday living. Without them the picture isn't complete.
 In the last few months, I have noticed a lack of chatter on Facebook. What I mean is those casual remarks or discussions that once where so common. Now it seems like folks have gotten to know each other a bit better and started to break away. That was true in that small hometown where I grew up as well. I noticed that while I was in the Navy too. It's the whole birds of a feather thing I suppose. I'm as guilty of that as anyone. Well maybe not as readily as I do enjoy a lively discussion. My opinion is not easily swayed, and some find that offensive. I will not accept your reality as my truth. That seems to be a problem to some. Just because that is what you believe, that isn't convincing me to change my belief. 
 I didn't recognize it at first, but it is clear now, that's what all the little groups are about. I originally joined in a group that was comprised of my "hometown" folks. It was supposed to be a sort of digital recreation of home, with all the same people I grew up with. There was a problem, however. Differences of opinion formed; a form of cultural appropriation took hold as well. The "moderator" was placed in a difficult position. Well, I eventually left that group altogether and formed one of my own. My group has few "rules" and membership is totally controlled by myself. I am the moderator. And yes, I have placed a block on a few. I just grew tired of hearing them and so placed them on ignore. I did the same in person when I was growing up. 
 It's something you hear a lot these days. That's what I said, but that isn't what I mean. Politicians use that often. It is also employed a great deal by those simply wishing to appease others, to make reconciliation easier. Husbands have been saying that to their wives since the beginning of time. It happens because of a lack of context. That is what is missing on social media. You only know what I am willing to tell you. I only know what you are willing to tell as well. When a third party interjects their opinion, that is often just called gossip. And gossip as we all know is the source of conflict. Those that will gossip with you, will also gossip about you! That is a lesson learned the hard way by the majority of us, at least those of us willing to learn. 
 There has been a change in attitude over the years. I'm not sure exactly when that change began to take hold. Each generation gets blamed for ignoring the lessons of the last. Often that is called progress. We hear a lot about that today, being progressive. The change I'm seeing is immodesty. It is a surprising lack of humility that has spread in society, and indeed permeates some religious practices today as well. Sometimes called virtue signaling it is prevalent. It has gotten to the point where I will signal my virtue, and if you do not agree with that, you are ostracized! On social media there is no casual passing on the street, a nod of the head or friendly greeting. On social media it's all or nothing! The reason is simple enough, there is a physical barrier between those interacting. I'm quite certain that interaction would be different if you and I were face to face.
 Of course, I have to consider another scenario as well. Maybe I'm not seeing much interaction on my page, or feed, whatever it is called, because people just don' want to interact with me. Hey, it's a possibility no matter how unlikely it may sound. I am a man of strong opinions, I'm well aware of that. In my mind however I'm just being honest. I've just developed the habit of giving my honest opinion. Sure, there have been times, certain situations and circumstances when I may have been less than forthright. There were times when discretion was required. Being discrete is a close relative of being deceitful. It can usually be recognized when phrases like, I haven't noticed, or no problem, are used. That dress looks great, or you have a good point there. 
 I wonder what the future of Facebook will be. Perhaps it will slip into obscurity like VHS tapes and phone pagers. It may just be something that people will read about. Seems to me that Facebook peaked about the same time as Farmville. Remember when everyone was doing that? Today with the advent of "community" standards and censorship it is definitely in decline. I did post my "community standards" when I created a group of my own. 
 This is that statement: I've decided to create this group because apparently a number of fellow " BONACKERS " find my blog so offensive they are leaving the Hometown group. Even the appearance of the link on that page is repulsive! So, welcome to B'low the bridge where we aren't offended by a different point of view and can just ignore those that we aren't interested in. Feel free to state your opinion but don't be surprised if someone doesn't agree.
 Perhaps Facebook will continue as a platform for the establishment of all the groups and sub-groups. Facebook will just be the clearinghouse for that. Go to Facebook and instead of that block asking, "what's on your mind" it will say, enter your opinion here to be matched with someone that agrees. Kind of like an opinion dating site where only 100% compatibility will be tolerated. Any disagreement and you are outta there! Of course, an alternative to the alternative will be offered. As for me I will continue to offer my morning greetings, post pictures I find interesting or amusing, and freely express my opinions. You're welcome. My Dad would say to me, boy, you're just like a seagull. All you do is eat, shit and squawk! Seems he was forecasting the future. It's pretty much what I find myself doing these days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment