Wednesday, January 4, 2023

a harsh reality

 Well, here I go, offering my opinion on a touchy subject. In regard to Damar Hamlin and the tragedy that befell him. I can certainly understand why everyone is praying for him, sending well wishes, and are shocked. I am confused however by the reaction on another level. This was a medical emergency that happened while he was playing professional football. The cause of his cardiac arrest wasn't the game. It isn't like he was tackled in such a way as to cause this injury. In my view the chances of that happening to every player is just as likely. I worked for a gentleman that went home, picked up a plant his wife wanted moved, had a heart attack and passed away on the spot. It wasn't the fault of the plant, his wife, or anything else. It happens. 
 The game was suspended. It was the very least we could do to respect that player. But I'm hearing calls to end the season altogether. I'm certain there will be a big investigation. I've already seen the vigils and outpouring of support. Still, in my view this is just a very tragic and unfortunate turn of events. It's no different than when any other professional in the performance of their jobs suffers the same thing. He isn't the first player to have this happen on the field and require medical attention. Yes, it is a rare occurrence, thank God for that, but a hazard in life. Each of us can suffer a cardiac event at any moment. I did, thankfully not as severe as what happened to Hamlin, but a cardiac event, nonetheless.
 I don't know, to me it just seems like we are all getting a bit hysterical. Yes, I offer my prayers for his speedy recovery. I pray that young man of 24 makes a full recovery and gets to play ball again. It is a shock to witness something like that. I realize that some will say I lack empathy for this opinion, I'm okay with that. All I'm saying here is we all need to calm down a bit. Yes, it was a terrible thing to have happened. A young man of 24 collapses on the field. He received immediate medical attention and is being cared for to the very best of our abilities. I just don't understand this reaction. These things happen. In fact, they happen all the time. Sudden cardiac arrest is the leading cause of death, happening on average once every two minutes in the United States. 
 Look I'm just saying my feeling is that as a people, a nation, we are getting a little too emotional about everything. That's the reason for all the protests, the unrest, the campaigns, the flag waving, virtue signaling, and chaos! I'm hearing the cries of children! Me too, everyone is doing it, I want, I deserve, and I don't want to. A collective temper tantrum. I should be able to do whatever I want. No one should get sick or injured. If someone does get sick or injured, it has to be someone's fault. Any calamity that befalls a person is the fault of someone else! All I'm saying here is this. That young man should get all the medical care and attention we have to offer. We should all offer our prayers and support for his recovery. What we shouldn't do is overreact to the situation. Stay calm, no need to ban football altogether. Life goes on. It is a phase I heard often growing up in my stoic New England household. It means, don't fall apart, keep on going. The key to survival is a cool head. That goes for a nation as well as an individual. Take a deep breath, sigh, and move on.   

1 comment:

  1. While I understand your point, Dr Shep Web whom you may know, he thinks that he got hit at
    Just the wrong spot in his cardiac cycle. Just like you can start a heart with a good thumb to the chest;
    You can also stop it the same way.

    ReplyDelete