Wednesday, January 11, 2023

grownup

 Being a senior citizen. It's something I am reminded of all the time. The commercials on the television spewing forth a continuous stream of reasons I should be very concerned. All the medical maladies I might have that I'm not even aware of yet. I should get a vaccine to prevent shingles, flu, pneumonia and a half dozen other things. Each one of those I am reminded is especially lethal to us seniors. Not only that but our brains are failing, and we should be using Prevergen to regain memory loss. Senility is an ever-present danger. Oh, and those slips and falls that will break my hip are just waiting to happen. Probably as I try to rush to the bathroom because, well, you know, I'm a senior citizen and that's what we do. As a result, I need to carry my life alert in case I've fallen and can't get up. The new I-phone can detect if you have been in a car wreck but not if you simply fall, I'm sure they are working on that technology though, should be available soon.
 Something I have noticed about being a senior citizen is how you often get ignored. You are treated like a child in many situations. Your opinion is just shrugged off, if you are asked at all. Others tend to ask you things like, do you need the restroom, are you feeling okay and are you tired. You are given deference in some situations, while in others you are not even consulted. The food you eat has to be considered carefully. Can your teeth handle that? How about digestion, is that going to be alright? Have to be careful about those foods that are binding you know. And the pills, oh my God the pills. Be sure to take those pills. And be careful what you take them with. If you are going to be away from home be sure to take your pills with you! Did you remember to take your cell phone? If you didn't others will look at you like you are senile! What do you mean you left home without your cell phone. Just push that red button and help will be on the way. Well, because if you can push the button that doesn't mean you could simply call someone. No, you're a senior and have a hotline to the paramedics! It may be close to the number for Silver Seniors dating app, so be careful. 
 Yeah, I remember being anxious to grow up. Being a grownup was going to a blast. I can do anything I want, anytime I want to. Yeah, what was I thinking. I did grow up. I got a job, married, had children and grandchildren. That pretty much took up those grownup years. Now I'm a senior. Oh boy, I'm right back where I started in many ways. Only difference is it does no good to cry about it. Now they'll just say you're senile or having a mental breakdown. Might place you in a home. Note the term; place. Yeah, like you are just a piece of furniture, something to be placed somewhere. But I'm told by other commercials I should be living my best life, I should be "active" and enjoying my golden years. Yeah, they're gold alright, more like lead. Heavy, grey and not worth a whole lot. I should be in one of those Senior living centers. I hear they are a hotbed of activity. Well, and they do have medical staff standing by, just in case. I hear they even have one of those drawstrings in every room. That's piece of mind. And you will get rolled out on special occasions. The kids might sing Christmas carols to you, or other performers come to the home and put on a show. Let's go see the old people today. It's like a trip to the zoo. They're so cute. Just like babies and small children.    

No comments:

Post a Comment