Saturday, January 21, 2023

Cynical

 Social media is the fuel for cynicism. I don't think there is any question about that. The evening news doesn't help much in that regard either. But I was thinking about that this morning as I received another message in messenger that was obviously just bait. It begins with, "guess who died" and goes on to say I think you know him. But I know the person whose account that is being sent from and immediately red flags went up in my mind. That didn't come from him. Skeptical? Yes, I'm very skeptical about any messages similar to that. Cynical? Absolutely. It's also an aggravation. 
 There is much talk about how divided America is today. It's no surprise to me. When you have to question every statement, every word that is spoken or written, you are going to get division. There are those that simply believe whatever they are told or read somewhere and then you have others that question everything. I find myself to be in the latter category. I have become more cynical over the years. Even those in positions of authority, our elected leaders, contribute to all of this. Yes, they call it political rhetoric, being politically correct and sometimes being woke. But the truth isn't being told and fuels distrust, disillusionment, disenchantment, and disappointment! It's a lot of "dis." My hope is that one day people will wake up! They might be woke, but they ain't awake or aware!
 I do enjoy FB for what it is worth. I enjoy seeing the pictures, hearing the stories, the meme's and words of encouragement that appear between the lines. I'm fully aware that the majority of the stuff is designed to generate revenue in some form or another. All that "click bait" that fills your page. All that fuels cynicism as well. I certainly don't believe what is advertised! Saw where they are selling Kitchenaid stand mixers for twenty nine dollars! Yeah, with free shipping. What's sad is there are those that will click on that. If I clicked on everything that told me I had won a prize, or needed to update my shipping information, or provide my banking information so they could transfer funds to my account, I would surely be flat broke! I do not believe a single line of any of that! I'm a loyal customer of a place I have never shopped. I'm receiving a reward for loyalty? Just provide the information and a 500 dollar gift card is on the way. 
 The world wide web. A world of smoke and mirrors. A place where the shadows speak with the offer of riches, fame, miracle cures and enduring love and friendship. I'd say it is the world of the devil. And yes, even the purest of us, the most faithful, the obedient, like to play there. It is the modern-day version of the infamous "den of iniquity" that we all heard so much about. A place where even those promising salvation are being deceitful. There is no shame, no sorrow, or sense of conscience on the web. 
 Today we live in a world filled with cynicism and doubt, anger and fear. Even as we know all of that, we remain naive. We want to believe. We search for validation of our own thoughts and perceptions. If we can find that, we feel much better. It is the psychosis of the crowd. The followers. Even the leaders are followers. They follow to maintain their position. Willing to compromise their beliefs, their integrity in exchange for office, for position, or for wealth. In such a world there is no room for God. For God requires belief without proof or profit. It requires honest emotion, not simply feigned indignation. It requires knowing that there is no offense in the truth! And the truth lies within! That is the lesson to be learned. It isn't to be found on FB, the evening news or twitter. It isn't on the web. A web is designed to capture, not to set you free. Be careful not to get caught up in all that. You could wind up being cynical.   

No comments:

Post a Comment