Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Listen

 Explaining the answers. That is what I feel like I'm doing at times. You can't change the past or your reaction to that past. All you can is offer an explanation. I'm reminded of my short stay in Algebra one class. The teacher had posted a problem on the blackboard, yes, we were still using chalk and a blackboard, and I provided the answer to that problem. I was asked how I arrived at the solution. I offered my explanation which didn't seem to satisfy her. She told me I had to prove it. I asked if the answer was correct. She responded that yes it was the right answer. I responded with, there's your proof. The proof is in the pudding, right. Still not satisfied she pushed the issue, and which eventually led to my dismissal from that class. I had to go down the hall and take business math. All that was required there was the correct answer. I passed the class.
 All of that involved substitution. That is to say letters were being substituted for numbers. I failed to see the significance in that process. I did have an attitude about the whole thing. A+B=AB? This means this or that. Well let's just say I never did take algebra or any other advanced math courses. I have to say I have never encountered a time in my life that I wish I had either. Never have I needed that particular skill. To be honest I'm still not sure about compounding interest either, although I can balance a checkbook. Yes, I still have a checkbook. No, I don't use it. 
 So, what does all of that have to do with anything? Well life is all about substitution if you think about it. The thing is though, the answer will always be the same after the fact. You can't go back in time and substitute one choice for another. So that was your answer. Hard to explain sometimes. Just why did I choose this or that? There are right answers and wrong answers. The right answers achieve the results you want, and the wrong ones impede your progress. So, what is right and wrong? Is there an answer to that? There is when the answer only applies to yourself. When the answer, the solution affects others, not so much, too many variables. That's what all the letters, x's and y's are all about. X, Y, and Z are the axis in a three-dimensional plane. Handy to understand that if you are a machinist. It's also the basis for 3D chess. We live in a three-dimensional world, we think. At least that is our experience. Where does your answer fall? 
 Can the right answer for me be the wrong answer for you? Of course, it can. Does that then make my answer wrong for me? Or can there be two right answers? If there are two or more correct answers wouldn't that require a few more axis points? Surely, we can't be on the same plane. Can both answers be wrong? Is there only one wrong answer? Well, two wrongs don't make a right nor does two rights make it wrong. Can you prove that? No, I don't think you can. The best you can do is give the answer. Is it right or wrong? That will rest upon the judgement of another regardless of your feeling. Unless you can prove it. When it comes to life there is only one way to prove it. That way is by a review of history. History will provide the proof I seek. It will be expressed with a simple statement. I told you so! Yeah, it's that simple really. Listen, I'll explain it to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment