Saturday, December 24, 2022

for sale

  I made a post on Facebook about this, and it is still on my mind. I keep seeing an advertisement begging for money. Just 19 dollars a month will show our veterans how much you care. The commercial contains so many scenes of sorrow, disabled vets struggling with various handicaps caused by battle. I think it is Trace Adkins that is the celebrity endorser for this organization. I can't tell you the name of the organization though, DAV is prominently displayed. A bit misleading as it implies the Department of Veterans Affairs. It isn't the Wounded Warrior Project, as I said, I can't say for sure. Seems to me that the Wounded Warrior Project had been marred by fraud and deceit as some point, hopefully that has been resolved. But what's on my mind is the need for any other program besides the Department of Veterans Affairs to take care of those veterans. It seems to me the government should have enough funds to provide all the necessary help. Why am I being asked to donate 19 dollars a month? I pay my taxes. Our government gave nearly 300 billion dollars in foreign aid last year alone! Yet, the government doesn't have enough money to care for our veterans. I need to donate 19 a month. I can use a credit card or debit card; I can charge that if I want.
 I'm not trying to discredit the DVA or wounded warrior project or any other group that wants to help our veterans. That isn't what bothers me. Yes, the CEO of Wounded Warrior earns a salary of 325,000 a year, a bit much in my opinion. That's about 100,000 more than the vice-president! But I don't understand why it is even necessary. Any veteran that has a legitimate need should have that need addressed by the DVA. Billions are given away in "aid" to others while our veterans are denied? That certainly can't be right. 
 Of course, I realize it really isn't all that simple. Determination of eligibility isn't the problem, determining what is legitimate can be. It is unfortunate but there are those that will use the system to their advantage. There is always that problem. Never before has that issue been more prevalent than today. The attitude has certainly changed. Does serving 90 days in the National Guard, never leaving the armory, count the same as serving in the jungle of Vietnam? Yeah, that's a problem isn't it. Today many feel they deserve hero status. I hear it all the time. Then I hear those that have never served piling on the platitudes to justify their lack of service. They would have joined but: and it is always some reason other than they didn't want to. They always wanted to. 
 It is the extension of that entitlement attitude that I'm thinking about. I was told I could get a 10% veterans disability payment every month if I applied. What disability do I have? I have a scar. It was caused by a surgical procedure performed by a Navy doctor. Ruined my whole career of being a male swimsuit model! Yeah, I could take the taxpayers dime for that. I simply looked at that "advisor" and told him, save that for some one that really needs something. That's the type of thing that I'm talking about. Getting something for nothing and lacking a conscience in doing so. I should get whatever I want because I want it, right now, without question or qualification. 
 It just bothers me when I watch that ad asking for money. The veterans portrayed have all lost arms, legs, their eyesight, or suffered terrible burns. All combat related injuries and the implication is that they won't get help unless I pay for it. Can that be true? I don't think that it is. I think that the government will provide what is medically necessary. 
 So, what is going on here? That's what I want to know. If you are a veteran, should you receive whatever you feel you want, need, or demand carte blanche? That is to say without question. What is the real purpose of donating my 19 dollars a month? I don't know it just seems to me they are asking for my money under a false pretense. If the objective is to provide all the "extras" for a veteran I'm alright with that, just say so. Those that wish to do that are to be commended for their charity. It isn't alright to insinuate that the necessary care they need will not be provided unless I donate. Are you asking for charity, or selling virtue? That's the question I have.       

No comments:

Post a Comment