Friday, December 2, 2022

"If only in our dreams"

  Did the founding fathers envision a secular government? Yes, I believe they did. What they didn't envision was a nation without secular feelings. They stated it quite plainly. There are many references to the "divine" throughout their writings. In fact, God is mentioned four times in the declaration. Natures God, then it says men are endowed by their creator, divine providence is mentioned along with sacred honor. It's obvious that they felt God was both protector and guide to man. It's true they kept church and state as separate entities. Still, no doubt was left that it was by and through the power of God that our government was formed, our freedom secured. 
  The phrase "so help me God" was included in taking an oath as early as 1789 and remains optional to this day. But what does that mean? In essence the one saying that implies they are willing to suffer the wrath of a vengeful God if they do anything shady. They are pledging eternity! But it was argued that I shouldn't have to say the word God or acknowledge that God even exists. Okay, I get it. Still, what does the word God imply? That would certainly depend upon where in the world you are. If you are in the United States of America, you are thinking about the Christian god. There is no question about that. It is that God the founding fathers were talking about. Those founding fathers also acknowledged that there were other Gods, such as the Muslim God, Allah. that people followed and revered. They were very much aware of the subtle differences in each denomination of the Christian religion, it's method of practice. That is why there is that separation between church and state. Government should be separate from religious practices, but the people should not! 
 Christians celebrate the birth of Christ, Jewish people rededicate themselves and their temples, and the Muslims don't celebrate at all. Now the Christians and the Jews believe in the same God just having a difference of opinion on his son. The Jews are still waiting for the Messiah. But it is the same God and the same book, at least the first five chapters of the book. Jewish people only read and believe in the Old Testament. I know that is a pretty generalized statement and I'm certain scholars could poke all kinds of holes in it, but that's the way I understand it anyway. With the Muslims my understanding isn't quite as clear. I understand that they believe in only one God. So do I, but the Muslims say they aren't the same God. They venerate Mary and Jesus however but don't assign any divinity to either one. I do believe that every man has his own concept of God, his one true God. The name, the practice of the religion, isn't that important. What is important is belief. Personal belief. Government has nothing to do with that! You cannot legislate belief. 
 All of that came to mind this morning as I scrolled down my "memories" page provided by Facebook. I do enjoy that feature checking on what I was doing or saying in years past. I find I do repeat myself. Then every once in a while, I'll see something that causes me to remember this or that. This morning it was a photograph. Taken a decade ago it is a picture that I won't be able to take again. It's a picture deserving of those "remember when" meme's circulating on social media. Something from the past, nostalgic. A picture that may need explaining to future generations, justified by the same arguments defending the past today. A picture that the children may very well respond to with shock and incredulous exclamations of, really! And everyone thought that was alright? And with a sadness in our eyes, a heavy heart and a deep sigh we will remember. "If only in our dreams."

                                                                  

 This was a public display on public property now banned on government owned property. It's the secular response. Last displayed ten years ago. How sad is that? 

1 comment:

  1. Very sad …. And we should all display them …

    ReplyDelete