Monday, December 12, 2022

a concern

  Hate. It's a term we hear a lot these days. It's even a crime. But what exactly is hate. According to the dictionary it is extreme dislike. It's a crime when some action is taken motivated by prejudice on various grounds. So, the reality is it is criminal to act upon your hate. Fact is, it has always been that way. That's not new. But what is disturbing is this notion that anytime I disagree with you that indicates I hate you. Sounds like your kids, doesn't it? Yes, it is quite the juvenile thought process. I hate you! Why? Because you won't let me do as I please. 
 We had a saying while I was in the Navy. You know you're doing your job well when you find your name on the bathroom wall. Saw mine there a number of times over the years, always good for a chuckle. Some of those "posts" implied I engaged in certain activities or had less than average intelligence. Others wished to engage me in their activities, if you get my meaning. They wanted to do something with me normally reserved for those you love! And others came right out and said it, they hated me. None of that ever bothered me in the least, it was amusing. I never hated any of those people, whoever they were. I have ideas about who they might be, you could say I had formed a prejudicial opinion about some, but I didn't hate them. I was only trying to help, set them on the straight and narrow, offering them the benefit of my knowledge and experience. They didn't always see it that way. 
 Today we are hearing that from politicians and activists. They should be allowed to do as they please and I should not be able to say anything in opposition. Silence is consent. That is what I was taught and what I have learned to be true. What is tolerated today will be the norm tomorrow. There are natural laws, the laws of nature. That cannot be disputed although man in his arrogance often attempts to do so. It never ends well. Nature wins every single time! We can label it, call it by different names, even attempt to alter it, but in the end nature wins. Volcanos still erupt, there is drought and famine, global pandemics and disease, all of those things. There is nothing we are going to do about that. There was a commercial on television years ago that stated it pretty plainly. "It's not nice to fool mother nature." Something bad always comes from that. 
 Natural law cannot be repudiated. It's a simple fact. Natural law is moral law based on human experience and human nature. Whenever you act contrary to the law troubles will ensue. It is what causes wars to begin! We have all read about those held in bondage since the beginning of time. Those in bondage have always ultimately rebelled. The reason is because it is unnatural to be held in bondage. It's why we imprison people too. If you speak ill of me, I will respond. Natural law. Using violence as a response is a criminal act, against good morals. Well, that's where it begins anyway, with the concept of morality. Morality is what is accepted without question. Also, why silence is consent. 
 One of the functions of government is to ensure domestic tranquility. That is to say, keep the peace. That cannot be accomplished by simply telling those that don't agree with you to shut up! It is only through discourse that a resolution can be reached. That is where domestic law enters the picture. A compromise is reached. It doesn't mean everyone agrees! Epictetus said, "all religions must be tolerated for every man must get to heaven in his own way." Tolerance is a compromise not acceptance. There are aberrations in nature that is true. That doesn't indicate they are normal. In fact, the very term aberration means it isn't normal or expected. Typically, it isn't considered a good thing. It is the normalization of aberration that concerns the moral man. It isn't hate, it is a deep concern. Always worth fighting for!  

No comments:

Post a Comment