Monday, December 26, 2022

I like it

 To be resolute is to be determined. If you are determined, you are often described as stubborn. I certainly don't want to be called stubborn so therefore I make no resolutions. Many will however, and then fail to keep that resolution. That can lead to depression, another reason not to make a resolution in the first place. It's self-care. We don't know what the new year will bring. It's best to tackle that one day at a time. That doesn't begin with a resolution, that begins with a habit. Many people feel like they are going to kick a habit, like it is always a bad thing, that's the connotation, but habits are the building block for success. For that reason, I continue in my habits. If I enjoy doing something, enough for it to become a habit, it must be a good thing right? I wouldn't intentionally form bad habits. That is to say, continually do something that I don't enjoy doing. I'm in control of me. Isn't that what choice is all about? My choice right, regardless of what you or anyone else tells me. 
 I was thinking about that with the new year approaching. It's what we do every year, make resolutions. I often wonder why we focus on that in the new year. Change should be an everyday thing. That's what I keep hearing. Out with the old and in with the new. Old fashioned ideas need to go. Oh, it's fun to reminisce, to be amused by those old things but not to repeat them. Things that happened in the past can trigger you today, so you have to be careful about that stuff. Just because those old things got you this far is no reason to believe they could take you further. No, that old stuff has to go. So, we make a resolution to change. But we don't. Well at least that doesn't change does it.
 The reason I believe we do this is for a basic reason. It's difficult to keep doing the right thing. That's why we want to make what is wrong, right. It starts when we are small children. Pick up your toys, wash your hands and face, brush your teeth, use the potty is only the beginning. There is sharing your toys, going to school, and all that other stuff you have to do! All that don't do this, don't do that. Well, I'm older now and I can do whatever I want! They're such an old-fashioned notions, responsibility and accountability. It's my choice that matters most. For that reason, no one is going to tell me to make a resolution, no sir. And that isn't a resolution, that's a choice too. I might change my mind. I'll just wait until the new year gets here to decide that one day at a time. In fact, I think it will become my habit. I like it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment