Friday, April 29, 2022

Forgotten heroes

  After posting a photograph yesterday I was pleased with the responses. It is a group photo from my days in basic training at Great Lakes Naval Training Command. I arrived there in August of 1971 and graduated, I believe, in November. Hard to believe all that was a half a century ago. The photo is fading fast and along with it my memories. The strange thing about that is it is the memories of those faces in the picture that are fading, not the memory of the time I spent there. I never saw any of those folks again. In my twenty year career I never encountered a single one. Not all that surprising given the number of sailors but something I really hadn't given any thought to before. It's funny, when I was a Navy recruiter I would have people stop by the office, or see me somewhere and say, I know so and so, he's in the navy too, do you know him? I always just smiled and said, no, can't say I do. 
 Now there are a few names I remember, very few. I can remember them for some reason although I don't have a clue why. I can't say I made any close friends during that time. I didn't keep in touch with anyone afterwards, it was just, goodbye. I can't say anyone treated me any differently than anyone else. I mean I don't recall anyone antagonizing me in any way. I had no personal conflicts with anyone. I was just there to do what I had signed up to do, be in the Navy. I graduated on time with the company I began the journey with. Some didn't make it, I remember that much. Wasn't much sympathy for them either. 
 Today I find myself wondering what happened to all those faces. How many went on to stay the course, to use a nautical term. I'm guessing the majority just did their time and got out. Less than 20% of those that join initially will stay until retirement. During my time the rule became, move up or move out. You can't simply stay in the military for twenty years without advancing in paygrade. It wasn't always that way. There were those content staying in a certain paygrade for various reasons. Some didn't want the responsibility, some couldn't pass the exam. I got out after my first enlistment but returned two years later. Choices made. I joined as a choice, reenlisted as a choice and retired when I chose that. I did no more, no less. 
 Things are different today. Different in the way veterans are seen. Well, I should say the way veterans are referred to, the politically correct way. That certainly wasn't always the case. I was in during the Vietnam era and wasn't always greeted, shall we say, cordially or respectfully. I will say those instances were few just like today you run into a few nut jobs. Today veterans are greeted with thank you for your service, almost as a reflex. I never know what to say other than, you're welcome. A lot more people make their service known than in years past. I'm not saying they are bragging about it but rather it is something that gets mentioned. In years past you just didn't hear it that often. 
 Over the years different groups were formed by veterans. The Grand Army of the Republic was the first. My second great grandfather was a member of that organization and attended yearly meetings well into the early 1900's as near as I can tell. At some point that became the Veterans of Foreign War that we are all familiar with today. Then came the American Legion, an organization for veterans that hadn't served in a war overseas. There are AMVETS as well. There are consisted mostly from the Vietnam era veterans, I think. I haven't studied all of this and I'm certain corrections are necessary. But the purpose of these groups is based in honor and service, a way to remember. The groups do advocate for Veterans and have gained much over the years. It was the Grand Army of the Republic that got the first benefit for widows. After my second great grandfather passed away, his widow, my great great grandmother Agnes received a three dollar stipend every month for the rest of her life!
 I thought about all of that. I haven't joined any veteran's organization myself. I simply do not have a desire to do so. I have never been one to join in any fraternal orders, no clubs, nothing like that. I have zero interest in any of that. I did belong to the historical society here in Greensboro but quickly became bored with that. I realize that all these groups perform many functions that benefit society in general. I am grateful to those that belong, support and make that happen. I render them all a hearty hand salute and a heartfelt thank you. 
 So what does all of this have to do with an old photograph? I just thought, as I looked at all those faces, how many I have forgotten. To be truthful I had a hard time identifying myself! I remember the company commander, Chief Pectol. I remember a pock marked face belonging to a guy named Hernandez. He had been to a military school prior to basic training. He was made recruit commander and thought himself pretty important. And there is the little guy in the front row, standing to the far left. I don't remember his name but he was Jewish. The only Jewish person in the company. He went to the Synagogue on Saturday, I think. Beyond that however, the memory fades. And given todays sensibilities regarding all of that I now think it's a picture of forgotten heroes. I have a small batch of pictures my dad took of his buddies while in the second world war. I have looked at those pictures and wondered about their names. 
 Forgotten Heroes? No, I don't think they are, I'm certain someone remembers. When placing the wreaths on graves for Wreaths across America the protocol is to say the veterans name out loud. The thought is, as long as there name is spoken, they are not forgotten. I look at that old picture that hangs on my wall and all I can say is, sorry about that. I could find the names if I really wanted to, there is a "yearbook" of sorts although mine has been lost in the last fifty years. But, I won't pursue that. I remember the time and place, I was there, that's what I remember. I'm certain it is that way with everyone else in that picture. Anchors Aweigh boys, anchors aweigh. And we did!   

                                                                 


                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment