Monday, April 11, 2022

Discriminating?

  When asked to define a woman our latest nominee to the Supreme Court failed to answer the question instead quipping, I'm not a biologist. Very clever, very funny. And now she has been confirmed and will take her seat in the fall. It's my hope she takes some biology classes in the meantime. But I know an easier way to gain that information, buy life insurance. Yes, all you would have to do is contact any life insurance agent, Jonathan from State Farm or Flo from progressive would do just fine. They even have toll free numbers you can call. 
 I recommend them because their companies have charts for life expectancy, divided by gender. The women get a lower rate generally speaking. Now if you are a man, no matter what you identify yourself as, you are going to get the man rate. That much I would bet my bottom dollar on. Insurance companies have no problem identifying which is which. Wonder if they all have to take a course in biology before getting that license to sell insurance? 
 I haven't heard anything about any of that in the news. No marches, no campaigns or protests. I haven't even heard of a lawsuit being filed. If I can now check gender X on my passport, which was recently signed into law, can't I just check female on my insurance application to gain the lower rate? Why not? Or are the insurance companies now going to include a gender X column? When they do, I'm betting the rates will be the highest on the chart, you know, as a form of insurance.
 I wonder if this has been questioned yet? Isn't that discriminatory? Dividing the rates between two genders when everyone knows there are at least four or five. I also suspect there are other charts and graphs the public isn't privy too regarding race, ethnicity and possibly other factors. Insurance companies are playing the odds! They really don't care what you think you are, they are going by the stats! If you are black, you are far more likely to have sickle cell disease. Insurance companies know that. If you are gay, you are more likely to contract aids. If you are a woman, you are more likely to get breast cancer. Men get prostate cancer. And all of that is figured into the rates charged. Guess you need to know a lot of biology and medicine before making those charts! How else would you know?
 I'm thinking that something needs to be done about all of this. And not just for life insurance, all insurance. Automobile insurance is just a bad, if not worse in its' discrimination between genders. Young girls are safer drivers than young guys! Well not if that young guy identifies as a young girl he doesn't! And what if he hasn't decided yet, you know received no assignment at birth, his parents preferring to let him choose? What about that? And why should my homeowner's insurance rate depend upon the neighborhood I live in? I'm thinking this whole insurance business is just a discriminatory industry! Equal rates for everyone! It's only fair. Different rates for men and women, how would they know, they're not biologists. medical professionals, they're statisticians! Stats are just racist! Something needs to be done.     

No comments:

Post a Comment