Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Understanding

  I posed the question to Facebook, to the social media universe, or should I say, metaverse. But then I read where that is being contested as well. Apparently that name was already in use. But whatever the case may be I asked a simple question. At what age do you stop asking your children/grandchildren for a Christmas list? Is there an age where that becomes "baby" stuff? 
  As with most things I'm afraid I didn't fully explain what I had in mind. It is difficult to have a conversation on social media that is focused. There is always the issue of that's what I wrote but that isn't what I mean, you know, like listening to a politician. Yes, I said that but that isn't what it means. What I had in mind was more or less an actual written list, like a letter to Santa almost. It's what we did before Amazon had wish lists and children had gift registries online. Yup, I had to make a list. Now I did dog ear the pages in the Sears Christmas wish book and perhaps circled a few items, but an actual written list never hurt anything. Mostly I just let Mom and Dad know what I wanted, no what I needed, have to have, and left it at that. I soon discovered it was best to not be too persistent and to let them know I believed in Santa. Santa could afford what Dad could not, that much was plain, so there was always the chance. 
 I'm not sure when all that changed. I don't recall ever being shocked to learn that there was no Santa Claus. Can't say I remember the year but there came a time when Mom and Dad weren't buying the whole, I believe in Santa ploy. I will admit I had serious doubts long before I gave up on the idea. It was at that time I quit with making a list. I can honestly say I don't remember my parents ever asking me for one, it was always a voluntary thing. Didn't take much encouragement I'll say that much. Still at a certain age I set all that aside and resigned myself to the fact that I would get for Christmas whatever another person chose to give me. The very last thing I remember leaving some very strong hints about my need for was a Sting Ray bicycle, with a five speed T-handle shifter and rear cheater slick tire. I got it! I think I was 14 that year. 
 As I said I don't really remember, but one year I started giving the answer, I don't know, when asked about Christmas. That answer was meant to convey to whoever was asking, figure it out for yourself, I'm too grown to ask for anything specific. It was a part of my raising I suppose although I wasn't really aware of that. It was unseemly to ask for charity. Yes, and getting a gift at Christmas from anyone was a charitable gesture and as such, not to be expected. It was a lesson I learned at a young age, although I didn't implement that lesson until a few years later, if you get my drift. You can do that with grandparents, and other old people, as they think you are just as cute as can be. Yeah, keep thinking that while you buy me that toy I want.
  Back to what I asked though, about a list. I would have to say you never stop asking, it is getting the answer that comes into question. I was asked for many years and for many years the answer was always the same, I don't know, I don't need anything. So the question I was trying to ask really is, at what age do kids quit giving a list? Not an actual list, but asking for specific things? Perhaps it is a subtle thing but an indicator in my estimation. An indicator of understanding. The magic of Christmas exposed. Or, it means nothing at all. What do you want for Christmas?        

No comments:

Post a Comment