Tuesday, November 2, 2021

a step above

  Once again I heard a public official talking like some kind of thug. There was an increase in shootings in the city of Baltimore over the Halloween weekend. No surprise there, it's an annual event, the shootings I mean. In an interview with the Mayor regarding this his response was, and I quote, "it pisses me off." Well now isn't that an intelligent well reasoned and thought out response. "It pisses me off." Oh I know there are those that will support this language, this choice of verbalization as "real" and it shows his humanity. I say, I expect more than that from an elected public official. Call me old fashioned or whatever but elected officials, school teachers, doctors, lawyers, Indian chiefs, or anyone else in a socially prominent position should be just a "step above." That's my feeling. When folks like that, those folks in positions of authority, or leadership roles, become too familiar with everyone they are surrendering some of their power, some of their impact. They become, just like us. They shouldn't be.
 For me it's a matter of professionalism. They should act and sound like professionals. If I wanted a gut reaction I could just go to any bar room and hear all those expletives, and more. But from the professional I expect a bit more. I expect the usual display of empathy and caring for those injured. I also expect to hear some statement about what action I intend to take. I don't expect to hear. "it pisses me off." Still that was his official response. 
 In a later response to several incidences of "squeegee kids" violently attacking motorists, he began explaining how it isn't the fault of the kids. In case you don't know, squeegee kids are teenagers that hang out at the intersection of highways in the city of Baltimore. They offer to clean your windows. In an increasing number of cases if you refuse their "service" they attack people. So the Mayor of Baltimore responds to that with, it's not their fault. They have a lack of opportunity in the city and are only doing that to survive. In short the Mayor is defending the culture of, if I commit a crime because of my needs or wants it isn't my fault, the city should be providing all that stuff to me! In Baltimore the City State Attorney refuses to prosecute "low level crime" like selling or using illegal drugs on the streets. Yes, it's true, no arrests for that. Hey, it's not their fault. And that is leadership?
 Look I'm just sayin' in regard to all this language and excuse making, it is just a sign of aggression. The speech is aggressive in nature. " I'm pissed off!" Is that conducive to having a discussion? Doesn't sound like to me. It's a form of speech intended to keep others from questioning you. It certainly isn't a calm reasoned response. It's an emotional response, not an intellectual one. Is that what we elect our officials to do, make impassioned remarks? Or do we elect them, place them in positions of power, trust and authority to react with a steady hand, calm nerves and intelligence. Don't know about anyone else but that is what I expect. 
 Our public officials are our representatives. They are the faces of society. Just as the owner of a business is the face of that business, the principal is a reflection of the school and the Mayor represents the city. It's a higher standard. Yes I know they are just people like you and I, people that are drawn to those positions for whatever reason. But I'm just sayin' if you want to be in that position you have to play the part! In public, you have to play the part! That is your job. For me, it is a matter of respect. Respect for yourself, respect for the office and respect for the people. Don't act like some kind of thug or bully! At least don't sound like one. Politicians and others are often said to be on the soapbox. Yes they are, and that, that is supposed to be a step above! If you want to be the one to step up, you need to be a step above. Not to place yourself above others, but to be someone to look up to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment