Sunday, November 14, 2021

living and learning

  Went to the store yesterday and saw Brussel sprouts on a stalk. I admit to having never seen that before. In sixty seven years I have never seen brussel sprouts grown. In my defense I have never went looking for them or really given that a thought. Well, I remember a time I thought pineapples grew in trees too. But as I always say, I'm no farmer. I'm certain we would all starve to dearth if that were the case. Could have tomatoes and peppers though, I have grown them. But anyway, I saw those in the store and just had to buy a stalk. I do like brussel sprouts. But my thought at the time was to take a picture of them and post it to Facebook. To my surprise seems like everyone else was well aware of how brussel sprouts were grown. I wound up feeling a bit silly. Who knew? Apparently everyone else. 
  It was amusing though and I learned a few things. I was made aware once again of the things we may take as everyday, may not be to someone else. I felt like I had discovered something that perhaps many others didn't know. When we feel that way we do think we have some secret knowledge. Somehow having secret knowledge makes us feel superior to others. It's a strange thing in the human psyche don't you think? Unless I'm the only one that feels that way that is. I don't think that is the case however, it's the appeal of game shows like Family Feud and Jeopardy. Do you have the answers? Yesterday I didn't know the answer. Well, I thought others may not know that answer. I was wrong. 
  Being a mechanically inclined person I just naturally have an interest in tools. I'm certain I could identify tools and their uses with anyone. There really are a wide variety of tools employed in the various trades. Over the years some of those tools have become obsolete and may not be recognized by the younger folks. Even the names of them may elude some. I have a brace and bit hanging on the wall. Don't see many of those anymore or yankee screwdrivers. Those are just two examples. Put me on a farm and I would be lost though. Oh, I recognize a tractor when I see one and a combine, but there are plenty of mysterious pieces of machinery I have no clue about. As far as planting or harvesting any crop I'm certain that is would be hilarious to even the most novice of farmers. No clue about any of that. I could hang with the carpenters, plumbers and electricians though, as a journeymen at least. At least I would know what they were talking about and recognize the tools.
  I did learn some stuff from my Dad. Now anyone that ever knew him would tell you he was a very talented man. He could build and repair just about anything. A regular jack of all trades I would say. The only thing different was he was practically a master at them all. Still, and I'd say I inherited this from him, he grew bored with doing the same type of work every day and changed occupations often. Oh, he was always employed, just not dedicated to one profession. The thing with him though, he thought everyone else knew what he knew. When working with him he was not a patient man, he expected you to know. I have several anecdotes I can tell about working with him and his feeling that I should have known exactly what he was talking about. As he was prone to say, any damn fool would have known that. Sometimes I was the damn fool that didn't. Yesterday I was the damn fool that didn't know brussel sprouts grew on a stalk. Well, live and learn I guess. At least I'm still living anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment