Tuesday, November 16, 2021

citizenship

  There has always been a part of me that can watch things totally detached. It is those observations that I often write about. I think maybe that ability comes from being the youngest of four children. Having to wait, take my turn or just be quiet. I did develop an ability to just watch. Being raised in the fifties and sixties by parents that were raised during the great depression things certainly weren't what I would describe as progressive at my house. I have retained a bit of all that, I don't think that could be avoided, nor should it. Now labeled the boomer generation the last vestiges of a racist, homophobic, and sexist past. At least that is what the internet says that means. Personally I just smile and say, whatever, I am detached from that. It really doesn't bother me at all. Sticks and stones, and all that I suppose. 
  I have been accused of lacking empathy in recent years. That wasn't the case when I was younger, in years past I was just called stoic. But that was what I was taught to be, most boomers were taught to be that way. I'm thinking the boomers are the last generation to be raised in that fashion. I'm blaming Dr. Spock, the baby Doctor. Parenting gone soft! Of course that was in the day when there were defined roles in society. A person knew what to expect. I have to say I am often caught off guard these days. When men can take maternity leave I'd say there was a shift in societal norms. When I point that out I'm called a homophobe. I say I'm just pointing out a truth. 
  Now I do believe this change in society, the redefining of roles and all that, isn't going to lead to anything good. It can only lead to chaos. You can not lead by emotions, by your feelings. It's a recurring theme, this requirement for rules. I am a firm believer in law and order, in discipline. Discipline requires self denial! We often think of discipline as punishment, but it is not, it is restraint. If one obeys the rules, there is no punishment, hence discipline is maintained. It is the lack of discipline that necessitates punishment. The collapse of government will ultimately be the punishment for society in general. Government should be for the common good! And that, that is the purpose of government. To govern, to restrain. Government does not exist to reward, government exists to restrain. 
  I do watch, detached on occasion, and form judgements. Judgements are not verdicts however, a distinction often lost on people these days. I can judge the right and wrong of things without condemnation. I do not like Lima beans yet feel no need to restrict anyone else from eating them. I love Lobster but feel no need to wear a ribbon in support of that. I just stand there, detached and judge what I like and what I don't like. There are times I don't like the rules, same as everyone else. Still I realize the necessity for those rules, for that restraint. And that restraint applies to me! It is a personal responsibility. It is what we boomers were taught as "citizenship" all those years ago. I remember getting graded on citizenship when in elementary school. Really it was a grade in how well you followed the rules, as any good citizen would. I question what is being taught today as citizenship, although I admit I have little knowledge about the curriculum. This Critical Race Theory appears to be dominating the conversation at this time. A theory that basically says the founding fathers were terrible people and worse citizens! Well, basically all Europeans and their descendants fall into that characterization. But the intent of those founding fathers was to exercise restraint. 
  Restraint on Government by the citizens of that government. What a novel idea? No, not really it had been tried before and ended in collapse. It ended when the citizens let the government go unrestrained! And how did they do that? By supporting emotional choices rather than practical and pragmatic ones. Choices that run contrary to common sense and to the natural order of things. That's happening as I write these thoughts, detached, and just sharing my observations. I see it in finance, religion, and government.    

No comments:

Post a Comment