Saturday, June 12, 2021

time encapsulated

  I took a closer look at an old photograph my Mom had saved and given to me some years back. This photograph was taken in 1964 by a professional photographer. Yes, it was an event back then, like getting school pictures taken, a rare event. My parents were not ones to take the family for pictures like some did. Dad had a Kodak box camera and that is what was used. Later on he did have a Polaroid Land camera, the latest invention and a miracle of modern technology. Imagine a camera that developed the picture itself! 
 This photograph is of St. Lukes Church, Jr. Choir, the attar boys. and Reverend Davis along with his assistant. As I looked closer at that picture I realized that all my siblings are in that picture. I guess I had forgotten. My oldest brother Harold was carrying the Church flag, he is standing in the rear on the right. brother Dan and  sister Millie are there in the choir with me. Pictures with all four of us children in it are few and far between. Yes indeed a rare picture. There is another, taken when I was maybe three or four, with all four us standing in a line, in Union suits, standing by the Christmas tree. Dad took that shot. My sister had it copied. She gave each one us a copy in an frame with our names engraved into it, a Christmas gift. 
 The thing is I looked at that picture from 1964, it doesn't seem all that long ago, I got to thinking about dates, birthdays and all of that. If its' 1964 I'm eleven. That picture was always about me. Isn't that the way we tend to think about such things? Mom had saved that picture for many years and gave it to me because, I'm in it. When I show that picture to others it is to show them I'm in the picture. But time has a way of maturing us doesn't it? Time will definitely give you a new perception of past events. That picture taken in 1964 makes brother Harold, the oldest, 17. If he is 17 that means he was born in 1947. Wait a minute, 1947, only two years after WW2? Seems like a long time ago. And Harold passed away six and a half years ago this year.  A lifetime that I was witness too. In 1964  Harold joined the Navy. Memories come flooding back. After 1964 our family was never all together in the same house. Who could have known? A photograph that provides clues. Well, not clues to me, but reminders. As a person that does genealogy I'm aware that old photographs can be clues. evidence of the past. That is why I always talk about identifying the people, places and time in the photographs. I admit I talk about the importance of doing that more than I actually do it. 
 I did post that picture to social media as there are many others in the picture. I remember some of the faces and others just look "familiar" know what I mean? Remembering names and faces is not a strong suit of mine. I always say I would be the worst person to have as an eye witness to anything. The person on the wanted poster could be standing next to me as I looked at the poster and I probably wouldn't know it. I have an old class photograph, fifth grade I think, and can only name a few of those folks today. Fortunately I did have help with that and most have been identified now. I apologize for that. Other things I remember extraordinarily well. The things that interest me the most I suppose. Old cars, old songs and personal moments. I have found that young people grown old, I don't remember so much. LOL.  
 And so now that picture takes on more meaning. It isn't a picture of me, it is a picture of time. Time captured to be viewed whenever the mood strikes. Currently I'm using that photograph as my desktop background. Yes, I still prefer my desktop computer. I just purchased a curved monitor, a larger size for easier viewing. That picture is for my enjoyment alone, it holds my memories. When it was taken I was only concerned for myself, I'm in the picture. A singularity. Today that isn't the case. Today it is so much more, so much time encapsulated into a moment.   
  
  

2 comments:

  1. hahahah...love the line When it was taken I was only concerned for myself. SOME things NEVER change, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahah...love the line When it was taken I was only concerned for myself. SOME things NEVER change, do they? SOME people continue to see themselves all important.

    ReplyDelete