Friday, June 4, 2021

it's frustrating

  Race relations. It's in the news all the time isn't it? Like picking at a festering sore things only seem to get worse. I can't help but think why that is. Now, I grew up in the north, I'm a Yankee doodle dandy and all that. My school was fully integrated from like forever. Calling someone by their skin color wasn't much different than calling them any other names. When you did that the intent was to disparage them, to be mean and hurt their feelings. That is why it was done, that was the only reason. And no one was blaming anyone for what happened in another lifetime. There were perceived differences in culture and socio-economic circumstances, although we certainly didn't call it that, and often the perception was completely wrong. In my opinion we lived the old adage, birds of a feather. We didn't necessarily believe there was anything wrong with the other birds, they just weren't part of our flock. There were exceptions, there are always exceptions, but that didn't indicate the whole world was wrong! But yes, you can say I grew up rather isolated from all the racism that existed in the south during my youth. I heard about that, saw pictures and read the headlines. But, for me, it was like a foreign land. 
 After high school I joined the Navy and went into a bigger world. I didn't see any of that going on in Navy basic training, or in the school I attended afterward. My first ship was in the south, Mayport Florida. I never saw any signs of that racism there either. I had seen pictures of signs saying "colored" only and that type of thing but there where none there now. I can honestly say I never saw any of that my whole Navy career. I never heard anyone say they were being discriminated against because of their skin tone. I never heard any cries for equality or reparations. I never heard any demands that they should be advanced in rank because of slavery. No, my experience was just like it was growing up. just people with a different color skin. And just like then, they tended to hang out together and when they did, they were loud. I don't think it is prejudicial or racist to point that out. Groups of black people do tend to be a bit more animated, a bit more boisterous, than a crowd of white folks. Seems to me white folks are a bit more reserved, less willing to show their feelings, perhaps a throwback to their stoic New England ways. It's a cultural thing. 
 Now I wonder what has happened? There is a change, a tension in the air. It's my feeling that it is being fueled by the media and by those those looking for an edge. It's a hard topic to discuss and it isn't getting any easier. It has come, as I pointed out some time back, to the point where , "there can be no discussion." It has turned to only agreement. You can not discuss any issue unless you first agree with the others point of view. That's what I mean when I say, there can be no discussion. It has become like that, like when your Mother said, because I said so! There can be no further dialogue, no discussion, only agreement or compliance. Failure to do either will be met with a violent reaction. You know that, I know that, and it is what it is. End of discussion. 
 That, in my opinion, is where we are at. There is fear in the air. And civil authority is fueling that fear. No longer can anything be questioned. If you ask any question, pose any factual evidence to support your position that runs contrary to the narrative, you will be punished. Consider something as ambiguous as a "hate" crime. What is a hate crime? It is defined as an act motivated by bias. So now civil authority has decided they can determine your motivation for doing something. Is that realistic? Can anyone really know what motivates another to do anything? Can you be certain of that even when the person says that was their motivation? I submit that you can not. So just how did it become a crime to hate? Is that something we can codify? Apparently we can when it serves the minority. Minorities don't hate majorities! Well, at least that is my perception of that scenario. Don't hear much about white people being the target of a hate crime do you? Nope, that just doesn't happen.
 The thing is this isn't about black, white, or any other race. What it is about is human beings. As long as we foster suspicion, mistrust and fear between the races this will continue. And it will only get worse. If we can not be genuine with each other, no genuine acceptance or understanding can take place. Walking on eggshells is a common adage to describe that. What is being taught? The black community appears to be teaching that they were mistreated, used, abused and take advantage of. All of those statements are true, they were. The issue however is the further teaching that every white person is responsible for that. Beyond that is the concept that equality can only be achieved when they receive an unequal amount of compensation. White people are being taught that they should feel responsibility for all of that and make amends. Empathy is often the watchword used in promoting that thinking. If you do not, you are then a racist! There is no discussion allowed. 
 Without meaningful discussion only two things remain, anger and fear. That is what we are experiencing today. In general, that is what most are feeling today in regard to race relations. We are either angry or afraid. We are angry with the accusations and a little afraid to say a thing about that. It's easy to empathize, that isn't a difficult process, although people often accuse others of not being able to do that. The problem is understanding that empathy and action are two different emotional responses. I can empathize but not agree. I have no answer to any of this though, I really don't. I just know this, there can be no discussion. It's frustrating. 

1 comment:

  1. Those who don't want to hear it won't listen, apparently, when they are told that there is a LOT of room for discussion. If that is not true, why did you take my comment off of here? HMMMMMM???? 'LET HE WHO HAS EARS TO HEAR, HEAR. LET HE WHO HAS EYES, SEE!' Mark 4:9

    ReplyDelete