Saturday, June 19, 2021

exploiting history?

  What to do with history? That is a question being asked these days, right here in Greensboro, Md. You see the historical society membership is composed mostly of, well those that have seen a lot of history themselves, if you get my drift. I was a member myself for a number of years but have since not been active. I reached a point where I felt my contributions were neither wanted or appreciated. No hard feelings though, I understand the dynamics of it all, I am, after all an outsider. I was not born in Greensboro nor any of my ancestors. When you live in a town of less two thousand that is the way it is. Without a history you don't belong. And it isn't that I was made to feel unwelcome, just that I was always on the outside. I mention all of that merely as background. I am not bitter or anything like that. 
 But the question about what to do with history is being asked by those members. A few have passed and membership is dwindling. There is no permanent home/building to house the collection of artifacts. The finances of the society are very limited indeed. For that reason some are growing concerned. What will happen to these objects? Those that are the custodians today don't want to relinquish control of those things but are aware they can't really provide for their future either. The town itself has no funds for any such thing, and I question whether the town could even be involved in any such "society." I'm not certain but I think the very structure of government will not allow that much beyond a donation. 
 I understand the dilemma as I too grow concerned with my artifacts. What will happen with my history? I wonder if they will cared for, treasured and protected in the same manner as I have. A number of those things are just everyday objects but have a special attachment to me. They contain my memories. I have taken to writing down what each object is and its' significance to me in the hope that will help. Still I'm aware that a crayon drawing made by a grandchild may not seem like much to the very grandchild that drew it. It is only when they become concerned with history that such things take on meaning. I know I have let many artifacts slip through my fingers. If I had only saved this or that. Today is too late.
 I do think as with most things it comes down to finances. How do you finance the historical society? A few fund raisers over the course of the year won't do it. Remember this is local history, and this locale is small. The issue is having a building maintaining that building, and paying all the associated costs. Even if there were only one caretaker, the curator of the museum as it where, the artifacts would be safe. The issue is paying for that housing. I don't know if there is anyone that wants to assume that role, to take the reigns from the current President. I don't know if the current President and administration wants to relinquish that control either. It's a difficult position. I believe that significant contributions demand significant input in the running of the organization. Yes even in a small town historical society politics rears its' head as well. There are those that feel entitled and feelings can get hurt. Bitterness, anger and contempt can poison an organization as quickly as lack of funding. I don't think think that has happened here but it is a reality nonetheless. That's what I am thinking about with funding and power, they are bedfellows. Difficult to have one without the other.
 It has been suggested that I return to the society. I appreciate the offer and the implication that I could be of benefit. The truth is, I don't feel like I could make any significant contribution. After 67 years I have learned a bit about myself. I'm not a leader, I do not inspire others to action, that is not who I am. I hold no such illusions. I'm not much of a follower either. Now I can be loyal but will abandon those that reveal themselves to be deceitful. I just don't like playing games. No, I'm not the person to lead the society forward. When I did attend meetings I always felt like an outsider, treated politely, but not taken seriously. As I said, I understand that and don't take offense, it is what it is. I will say this, had I arrived with a pocketful of cash I would have been received differently, no doubt about that. History and heritage will be surrendered for a profit! It is something I have witnessed in my life. I can see the signs of that happening again, right here in Caroline county. There is money to be made by exploiting a heritage. It's true even when that person never experienced that heritage! If I buy an old tractor, build a farm stand on the side of the road, I'm a farmer. The "tourists" will stop for that local flavor and interact with the locals, as an amusement. All I need to do is play the part. 
 And so the question remains, what to do with history? Exploit it? That seems to be the narrative these days. Well if that is what it takes I guess it is worth it. We have to exploit the past to finance the future. Just how to do that is another matter altogether. I'm hoping someone will figure that out and save all the artifacts Greensboro has preserved. History must be kept alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment