Friday, June 25, 2021

road trip

  Leaving this morning for a quick road trip. I'm anxious to get on the road. Reminds me of when I first got a drivers license. I'm sure you remember when you just couldn't wait to drive the car and go somewhere, anywhere. Before you got your first car you looked for excuses to drive. Now, my parents weren't ones to let me drive their car but would on occasion, a rare occasion. Fortunately I had a car of my own, given to me by an Uncle, almost from the day I got my license. I drove a 1964 Ford Falcon station wagon and did so without shame. Yes I would have liked to have a cool car but I didn't have any cool cash for that. All the great cars were being made then, all the muscle. It wasn't for me to own any of them. My mother did have a Plymouth road runner, 383 with a four speed, pistol grip shifter and ram air hood scoop. Yes, very cool and I wasn't allowed to drive that car much. I did take my road test in my Mom's car, she had a Dodge charger then, 318 automatic. About the only time I got to drive that too. 
 I'm still driving a car that is best described as utilitarian. A Ford Focus, 4 door, automatic and the engine looks like it belongs in a riding lawn mower. Still it will get me where I want to go, in relative comfort and using a reasonable amount of fuel. Yeah, all the things my Dad preached to me about as he drove his American muscle. The same old thing, do as I say not as I do! Well it worked with cars I guess but not with cigarettes and beer!  Oh, I had my share of those Dad, just like you. Of course I have to add, I also quit both, just like you. Still I would like to try some muscle car action, maybe a hemi-cuda! But then I'm past middle aged so I missed that window too. Those really cool cars like Lamborghinis and Ferraris are too low to the road to get in and out of. Well, in my dreams I can anyway and watch you tube videos. 
 Well, time to pack up the car, get google maps on the smart phone and head out. I still have a folding paper road map of Long Island should I decide to go that way. It was printed when the developer advertised that Montauk was going to become the Miami of the north. From what I hear that has happened, just not in the way he thought. I will admit that the phone is much better, although the lady on there can get annoying. Turn around, recalculating, head northeast. Never a reference to a landmark! What does she think I am, Marco Polo? Still, it is a big convenience. I did install a sat/nav system in the dash with a back up camera and stereo. I've had it for awhile now but figuring out how to actually use it is another topic. It's a matter of understanding the terminology once again. And then I have to download the appropriate map for it to work offline. It looks good anyway and the radio works. Road Trip!     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment