Thursday, June 24, 2021

it's good

 Yesterday was pretty much a day without social media. I had purchased a new computer and was occupied with setting it up. What should have been a relatively easy task, wasn't. The blame for that falls completely on my lack of technical skills. I expect I should have just found a fifth grader to do it. There is certainly nothing wrong with the computer itself, that leaves the operator. Understanding technology wasn't something I thought would become a problem. As it turns out that is pretty much what aging is all about. I have discovered the most important part is in understanding the terminology used. Words and their meanings as they relate to the task at hand. Learning the language of computers. I have to say fortunately there is plenty of help available online if you walk carefully through that minefield. It is a nerve wracking experience. But, in the end, I was successful and I'm up and running once again, faster this time! And, yes it is was quest for a faster, smoother running computer that put me on the road. 
 I did have other chores to get done, mowing the lawn among them, so the whole day wasn't spent in  front of the computer. I have to say, I needed the break. By early evening I did have time for some social media. I found nothing had changed and was quickly amused. There was a meme on there lauding the courage and fortitude of some football player coming out. I had some immediate quips and my fingers headed for the keys. But my better judgement kicked in, I know "don't judge" and I simply typed no comment. The amusement came when a person from cyberspace had to respond to that by saying, and yet you commented. I couldn't resist responding to that. I suggested that perhaps she had taken some inference from that thereby exposing her own bias or prejudice. A little friendly banter, a little back and forth. I was waiting for the name calling to begin and was surprised when it did not. That's an improvement anyway. I bid this unknow person a good evening and a day filled with rainbows and unicorns. Nothing like a good discussion. 
 Tomorrow I leave for a quick trip to upstate New York. My granddaughter Shyann will be graduating from high school. I haven't been able to visit with her in quite some time what with this pandemic and all. It will be nice to see her and wish her well. They grow so quickly. It will take about seven hours to drive there and it isn't too bad. I only drive in the daylight hours now whenever that is possible. That is due to age and I'm told quite normal. I'm suspicious of that however, normal and Ben are seldom used in the same sentence. Still, it is what my optometrist says, right after he suggested cataract surgery. That is now scheduled for September. I don't plan on writing any blogs while on this little trip. That is something that has changed for me, I don't feel nearly as compelled to post a blog as I used to. After ten years I guess some of the magic has worn off. 
 So, there are preparations to make before I go and I am a bit preoccupied. I didn't listen to the news yesterday and as I said, little social media to inspire any thoughts. I still have files and folders to migrate to this computer. I transferred all my files to an external hard drive from my old computer. Before I allow them to migrate onto this new one I will fully "vet" them. I'll be sure they don't have any virus's. I am concerned about illegals! They can be a drain on resources you know. I will spend some time engaged in that today. Well, anyway, I'll be busy for a few days. Life is good.     

No comments:

Post a Comment