Friday, June 11, 2021

the ordinary citizen

  Was doing some more thinking about heritage after writing yesterdays post. I began to think that perhaps our heritage is nothing more than what we wish we had. That is to say, claiming a story, a legacy that we have fabricated. I wonder if that is a sign of being dissatisfied with your own past. As an example I have done much work on the family tree. I began with my third great grandfather and his service in the civil war. The truth is he spent more time in the hospital, sick, not battle wounded. He never participated in a major battle like Gettysburg or Bull run. Fact is, his service was undistinguished, just the ordinary foot soldier. The ordinary person. And it is that thought I'm associating with heritage. Perhaps when we feel we are just ordinary people, nothing special, nothing different, we begin to associate ourselves with the past, our heritage. It does come with an implied knowledge. In my case, that implication would be that I know a great deal about the water, commercial fishing, and about the bay. That isn't true however, I only have a rudimentary knowledge about all of that. I'm retired from the Navy and there is a certain implication that goes with that. The image of the sailor. Well, I'm not that either. I'm just me, the ordinary citizen. Thing is I feel no need to claim a heritage, although there can be advantages to doing so. Claiming a certain heritage can lend some weight to whatever image you are attempting to portray. A lot depends upon your location when it comes to that. I wonder if that is a conscious decision. 
  Can you capitalize on the achievements of your ancestors? Well, I'm not so sure that you can, although the children of celebrities often do just that. Is that it? Attempting to grasp a bit of celebrity? I'm thinking that may be so in the case of "lost" heritage. An example of that could be a whaler. Not a popular figure today in some circles but certainly heroes of the past. Captain Ahab, the great white whale and other tales of the sea. The whole thing conjures up scenes in our minds. Are they factual? Probably not, the reality of that lifestyle surely wasn't glamourous or necessarily profitable. Same with being a Pirate. Still there are those that would claim both as a heritage. My fourth great grandfather, his brother, and many members of that family were 'round the world whalers. I claim no heritage from that. I don't think I have any Pirates in the family tree. The truth is, as far as I know, my ancestors were all just ordinary people. No cowboys, Indians, Princes or Pirates. No war heroes, no genius inventors or sports figures. No, just people that lived ordinary lives for the time they lived. So that is my heritage. I'd say I fit the bill and I am fine with that. 
  I'm fine with that because I feel like that is a good heritage. Wealth isn't a heritage. Fame isn't a heritage. Heritage is an inheritance from those that you know, love and admire. Those folks don't have to be rich or famous. I'd suggest if you grew up with those folks they are indeed just "ordinary" folks to you. That would be so on a personal level, don't you think? Isn't that what your hear celebrities say all the time. I just want someone to like me for me, not for who I am. I wouldn't know anything about that but I think I know what they mean. I'm not what some think I may be, good or bad. Forming an opinion about me, based on your perception of my past, because I claim a certain heritage? Is that what is going on? I should be afforded this or that because of my heritage? Because of what may or may not have been? As far as I can determine I have had family members in every war and conflict since the American revolution and probably well before that. As far as I can determine not one of them was a hero. Just an ordinary foot soldiers. As for me, I'm just the ordinary guy. I'm good with that. I have to say I wouldn't mind being the wealthy ordinary guy. I don't need to be extraordinarily wealthy. Well, whatever the case  case I was just thinking about all of that.        

No comments:

Post a Comment