Tuesday, June 8, 2021

lesson learned

  It was probably back in '63 or maybe sooner when I was playing Army. A new boy had moved into the neighborhood, a boy my own age. Living on a dirt road, on the edge of the woods, there weren't many kids close by so this was exciting. This house, at the end of the lane, was owned by an artist. We were told he was going overseas to paint, probably Paris, all the artists go to Paris. While he was gone the house was being rented. This is what we now call section eight housing, I don't know what they called it then, those folks were on welfare. None of that mattered to me of course, I was about ten years old. It was pretty cool having someone right there you could play with. Before that all I had was my sister and two older brothers. They would play when bored enough but never for long. My sister didn't like playing Army and my brothers always won! But now I had reinforcements.  
 Back in those days all the kids were playing Army, running around with toy rifles, pistols, hand grenades and I had a bazooka! I had an army helmet and a jacket with stripes on it. Those Nazi's were always a threat, as well as the Japs. Yes, that what we called them, every offensive name we knew! Well, they were the enemy after all. It was a different time back then, different sensibilities. So we went to battle for America, for freedom and justice every day! Looking back I have to say it was a great time to be a kid. We were what they might call, free range, back then. The older you got, the more you showed responsibility, the bigger the range became. At ten my range was the neighborhood, within shooting distance of Mom. If she called, the war stopped, arms were laid down and you retreated! You didn't question the General. 
 Now this boy had a sister too, a bit older than us. I don't recall her ever hanging out or being friends with my sister, although they went to school together. We all rode the same bus. His sister decided to pay army along with us one day. She announced she would be the nurse. Now this was before I had given any serious thought to Drs. and nurses, if you get my meaning. So, child like her brother and I welcomed her to join in the fight. She set up the hospital, her bedroom, and said she would wait for the wounded. We ran around shooting at imaginary enemies and ducking bullets. We got grazed a few times and had to make a quick trip to the medic. After we told her what the wounds was, mostly just a flesh wound, that happened to cowboys on television all the time, she would fix us up. This was great. When we went to the hospital we would get drinks from our canteens, sometimes a snack and return to the fight. Then it happened! I had just returned to the hospital after having been almost blown up by a hand grenade! I heard the General recalling the troops! Telling the nurse I had to go she insisted I get bandaged up before I go, I was bleeding from the head. Yes, she told me it was quite a wound and required a big bandage. Luckily she had just what I needed. And so, I stood there, like an idiot, as she wrapped a Maxi-Pad around my head. Thank God they didn't yet have wings! Oblivious to just what that item was or its' actual use, I started to run home in response to the General. 
 I remember it distinctly, Mom stranding on the front porch looking up the road. She was obviously mad, her hands were on her hips! As soon as I came into sight she was hollering, hurry up, I've been calling you for an hour. So, I picked up speed and rushed into the yard. It was then she yelled, what's on your head? Before I could answer she realized exactly what was on my head! I was ordered to remove that immediately! To say that order was given forcefully would be an understatement. I was asked, what the hell is wrong with you? That question followed by a string of expletives! Mom was really upset, she never said things kike that! She even said, hell! I had no idea what the big deal was all about and she wasn't about to explain that to me. I was told, wait until your father gets home! Dad did get home but said nothing. The topic of the bandage was never spoken of again. Looking back I'm sure the Nurse thought it was hilarious. She must have gotten quite the laugh out of that. I did learn a lesson though, never go home with your bandages still on, scares your Mother. And when Mom is scared you get in trouble. Better to return from the war unscathed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment