Saturday, June 5, 2021

my opinion

 Slept in a bit this morning and I feel a little guilty. We really are creatures of habit aren't we? Some more so than others, but we are all subject to that. We settle into a comfortable routine. But this morning I slept in and now feel like I'm behind schedule. Things is, I don't have a schedule. I'm retired, I have no where I need to be at a certain time, well except for Drs. appts that is. Doctor appts do give us a sense of routine don't they? Can't miss them? With your job you might get in trouble, you might get fired, but with Doctors, you might get dead! Guess that is why those appts become so important to us. It's the opposite of Latrophobia, the fear of seeing a Doctor. But anyway, here it is six in the morning and no blog written. I'm working on it though, obviously.
 I read a posting yesterday that got me thinking a bit. This post was about someone saying something to someone that had parked in a handicapped parking spot. The remark was something to the effect that, you look fine to me. The one that had parked there responding with , I have a disability that you can't see. The implication was that all disabilities entitle a person to use the handicapped spaces, even mental handicaps like depression or bi-polar disorder. That, of course, isn't the case. There are certain requirements that must be met but they vary by state. If the vehicle has license plates that indicate disability, that disability is permanent, the placards that hang from the mirror indicate a temporary disability. So the bottom line really is, if you have the plate or the placard you are entitled to that spot. The person that it was issued to has to be present in the car! We all know that isn't always the case, there are those that abuse it. Should you say anything? Well no I guess you shouldn't, but it's difficult at times when the person getting out looks to be in better physical shape that you are. It's the honor system, to a point. Yes a police officer can ask for ID to prove entitlement and you are required to provide that proof. Of course that happens on very rare occasions and wouldn't be viewed favorably if it was. So we are basically on the honor system, just like voting. Of course no one ever cheats voting so that's fine. But I'm going off on a tangent a bit. 
 Anyway I was thinking about this disability stuff, the unseen ones. You hear about depression, bi-polar, and all sorts of mental issues these days. Each are diagnosed by a professional. That's what the say anyway. I do question the validity of all that on occasion. The list of symptoms are widely published and publicized. Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to sway that expert opinion, and that is exactly what it is, an opinion, in my favor should I wish to do that. But that is where the waters get muddy. Anyone from your Doctor, a social worker, a psychologist or psychiatrist can diagnose a mental illness. Determining when that is a disability is quite a bit different though. Is mental illness a disability? The consensus is yes, it's a disease of the mind. Of course the thing is, I have to take your word for that don't I? Unless the condition is severe I certainly have to as it can not be diagnosed any other way. There are no "tests" for thinking! Good thing too, in my opinion, otherwise we would definitely have a lot more disabled people than we do! Another issue I have with all of that is the redefining of mental illness periodically. We do change our opinion. A current example is homosexuality. Prior to 1974 that was a mental illness, treatable by therapy. What is being said today? Oh, it's perfectly normal. Transgenderism is still being debated by the "experts." Many say it is a mental disorder while the WHO says it is not. Well, it's all a matter of opinion isn't it? 
 The whole question here is, how do we quantify opinion? That is to say, provide validation that an opinion is correct? We have traditionally done so by the issuance of diploma's and degrees. The higher the degree the more valid your opinion becomes. Isn't that the thinking? But what are the components of an opinion? Are they strictly academic? I would suggest they certainly are not. Opinions involve emotions, ethics, morals, science and just plain old common sense. The issue with an opinion is, you just have to take the persons word for it! I would say social norms are an expression of a societies' opinion. When those norms are challenged, altered, or questioned there is unrest. In our nation the Voters are supposed to establish that normalcy. We do that through law. Law requires a definition, an exact definition. Law can not be based on opinion. And there is the heart of the matter. Can law change opinions? I'd say no. Even the Supreme court only issues an opinion and there is a reason for that. You can't impose opinion, one opinion being as valid as another. Only the law can enforce an opinion, but it still won't change it. Can you make it illegal to have an opinion? Some are trying to do just that! They are giving it different names but that is the objective. Keep your opinion to yourself! Of course your opinion may be different from mine but the thing is this, mine is right. Well, in my opinion anyway. See how that works.          

No comments:

Post a Comment