Wednesday, June 2, 2021

an honest answer

  It's something I find myself curious about. The older I get the more I find myself thinking about it. I question it, question the validity, the honesty; not of the action itself; but of the motivation to perform that action. It could be applied to just about anything, any action, but I am particularity curious about those that join the armed forces. What compels a man or a woman to do that? And beyond that initial action joining, to stay the course and complete their obligation. Remembering that at least since 1973 that has been a voluntary action. It was a conscious decision. What conviction do they hold that makes them remain? Is is Patroitism, Ethics, or fear of punishment? And what would drive a person to just quit, refuse to honor their word? But that is another topic altogether I think. One I'm not so curious about.
 The easiest to begin with would be myself. I am aware of my motivation for doing so. Truth is, I am the only one that knows the whole truth. I have never felt the need to justify or quantify that decision. Was I pressured into it? No, I can honestly say that I didn't feel any pressure to do that. I was aware that joining the service was an option I could choose. It would be an honorable choice, looked upon with favor in the community. at least it was by those that I admired, respected and loved. It was, after all 1971 and not everyone was happy with servicemen at that time. And that group was my peers. To say it wasn't the popular choice among the "culture" of the day is a bit of an understatement. But, as I said, I wasn't listening to those folks anyway other than to dispute their protests! I wasn't having any of that. I had a respect for law and order, I had a respect for authority, and wasn't having any of that hippie crap! I did owe an obligation to my country, I would answer that call if it came! I have to say I wasn't waiting on that call though. 
 So, for me the choice was ultimately made. I would join the Navy. In what can only be described as the flippancy of youth, the branch of service was decided with a coin toss. Yes, that's the truth of the matter. I remember being in the bedroom of my good friend when that happened. He had decided to follow in his fathers footsteps and join the Navy, another good friend had decided upon following his father and was joining the army. I wanted to be with one of them and so tossed a coin to decide which service to join. The Navy won out. It was decided. That was the action, the motivation was different. 
 I was 17 at the time, looking forward to graduating from high school. Going to college wasn't given any serous thought, not at all, that was for those more academically inclined that I and for those with more money. It was that simple really, that basic. In 1970 you weren't looking for scholarships, grants, go fund me, or anything like that. You paid your way or you didn't go. And job opportunities weren't all that great living where I did. The thought of just moving somewhere else to get a good job, whatever that was supposed to be, didn't occur to me. That left the service. A good job, further education, and respect in the community was offered in exchange for my service. Seemed like a logical choice under the circumstances. And that was the sole motivation, making a good choice. The motivation remained with me over the course of the next sixteen years and I kept reenlisting. I have to say, it was a good decision, an excellent choice as a matter of fact. I do not pretend that it was for any other reason. That was my motivation, everything else is just fluff. I even got medals for doing it! What I call a perk.
 Well that's my story anyway. I certainly can't speak for others. It came as a surprise to me when I learned that my father had been drafted. He had served in WW2 as a flight engineer on B-24 bombers. He had flown over the Pacific and into enemy airspace. He rarely spoke of that service but spoke often of the airplanes. According to him the B-24 was the best plane in the skies and in the war! He did have a special place in his memories for those aircraft. For some reason I assumed he had joined to fight the Nazi's! When I was growing up we heard about that all the time and were busy keeping an eye on those damn Russians. Dad told me himself that they should have let Patton take them out back then! But he never said he was drafted. In his defense he never said he wasn't either. And isn't it strange how we think about that differently. Almost like those drafted are somehow less patriotic? I can assure you they are not. Perhaps their motivation is different? And that is what I'm thinking about as I write. My father told me nothing about being drafted, about having to go, just that he went. Later in life he did say a man owes his country and that you do have an obligation to that country. Whether it is voting or serving in the armed forces, whatever. But he stood tall for the Flag, when his named was called, he stood up! And in my estimation his motivation was a sense of ethics, of doing the right thing. He would certainly fight for whatever he believed, that much I can say with certainty, and he believed in America. A patriot? I don't know about that, but certainly a good citizen. A sense of duty.
 Today my fathers medals hang on the same wall as mine. His was certainly the more glorious service, if there is glory in that. I have his mementos of that time, old photographs, and a "blond chit" that he carried in the battles. My mementos are there with his, nothing so solemn as that blood chit though. Neither display indicates whether we were drafted or enlisted. There is nothing to indicate the level of patriotism. Really they are just reminders of two old warriors. Warriors that answered a call for very different reasons perhaps, but both in the roll call. 
 As for those that join and quit I can only speculate. I think maybe those are the ones that join due to popular demand, or because their friends where doing that. It wasn't a decision they actually made, it was a reaction. Or perhaps they overestimated themselves and their own capabilities. I really can't understand quitting when you gave your word. I signed an agreement and I am bound by that. If their is loyalty in that, that loyalty is to myself. An ethic taught to me by my father and to some extent by my parents peers, those of the greatest generation. Cowboys may be credited with virtue but my father personified that, as did many of his friends. You don't quit! The question should always be, why do you want to join? When you know the answer to that, make your decision. Thing is, you have to be willing to accept an honest answer.  


 In case you are unaware of what a blood chit is this is an example of that. Basically it offers a bounty for your safe return, a ransom offered. Imagine putting that in your pocket before going to work! My father and thousands others did just that. I have his framed hanging on my wall as a reminder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment