Saturday, January 4, 2020

The truth

 Socrates pointed out a basic truth, " the beginning of wisdom is a definition of terms. " I certainly agree with that, as it is apparent people have many different definitions for the same term. It happens to me all the time, especially after I define that term. Then I will hear a lengthy explanation about why what I defined doesn't mean that at all. I'm informed that Webster dictionary and other sources aren't correct. I do hear, yes that's what they say, but it isn't what they mean. Or the ever popular   there is no right and wrong, only different opinions. You are allowed to have a different opinion, as long as you stipulate that opinion only applies to you. Should you suggest your opinion be adopted by others, you are then labeled in some fashion. It may be anything from a Bible thumper to a bigot! It all depends upon their opinion. That's how it works when terms are not clearly defined and agreed upon. It is especially apparent when it is decided that certain " terms " are now offensive. You are not supposed to even utter the term any more! Often labeled slurs, those terms usually started out as a simple statement of fact. But facts can be uncomfortable things, inconvenient things, and so we look for avenues to avoid them. In some cases we ignore facts altogether! We look for avenues of escape. What are we escaping? Reality, we just alter our reality by changing the terms of that reality. A process man has done since the beginning of time. That's the reason I expect Socrates was pointing that out.
 I'm thinking I may encounter this issue of terms more often than some others simply because I speak plainly. I use terms I feel are mutually understood by English speaking people. Currently there is this issue of political correctness, which is code speak for, don't use certain terms. Those terms are offensive. That's why I often include the definition of the term I am using, to clarify that. That is often met with a refusal to accept that definition. The listener attempting to tell me what I mean! Yes you said that, but you mean this? The difference between implied and inferred. I seldom imply things, I have a tendency to just come right out and say what I mean. I get it, it is disturbing to some, to those having altered their reality in some fashion to make it more comfortable or convenient. It is the refusal of a premise.
 So let's define what a premise is. Used as a noun a premise is simply a statement upon which following ideas are inferred. The listener does the inferring. As a verb a premise is what is used to base an argument or conclusion on. Now one I have used lately and at great length is the term aberration. What does that term mean? In a biological sense an aberration is a characteristic that deviates from the normal type. So when I apply that term in a biological way what am I saying?            Aberrations are in the minority by their very nature. What do we mean when we say minority? Typically we are talking about a number less than a greater number, whether it is people or something else. Does using the term minority imply something that is inferior? No but many will infer such because they have altered the definition of the term. The minority is always suppressed therefore treated unfairly. Isn't that the premise? The only way to change that would be by redefining the term. How to make the minority the majority? The only way to accomplish that would be to now say, there are no minorities! But to do that would remove all power from the minority group because they are no longer in the minority, no longer inferior, and therefore being treated fairly! Remember the original premise? The minority is always suppressed therefore treated unfairly. And yet everyone agrees that majority rule is the only fair system. The majority of what is the real question? Well that's why we have to define the terms in the first place. Socrates knew it and that truth hasn't changed over the centuries. The truth is always the truth, it is never conditional.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment