Sunday, January 5, 2020

constraint

 I have never thought of myself as a goal oriented person, I more or less take things as they come. I figure it this way, I had no say about when I arrived and I most likely won't have a say when I leave either. Events will unfold, as they were planned to unfold. Most of what we do is just an illusion. Your happiness depends upon your belief. That's my take on the whole deal anyway. My job is to react, ideally in a positive way, to whatever the present situation is.
 Now you could say I hold a somewhat deist view of the universe, and I would have to say I have been leaning that direction as of late. It is difficult to reconcile world events with a God that is supposed to be listening and intervening in the universe. It's difficult to say why God would favor one persons prayers over another's? Both players praying for a win, for instance. But I find it equally difficult to believe that God wouldn't intervene when sincerely asked. I get the argument that God knows best and that is why he says no sometimes. Also the reason God is thought of as your Father. All of that is based in faith. What I find myself questioning is how much influence my energy has upon the whole. For there is no doubt in my mind that we are energy. Call it our soul or whatever, but it is energy. Energy that can neither be created nor destroyed, except by the creator! Yes, someone or something had to create all of this, it wasn't an accident! That I believe wholeheartedly. So, as I said, how much influence do I exert? How much influence do you exert? Is the influence greater in groups? That is to say are collectives capable of exerting greater influence?
  Whether we call it a religion, a denomination of that religion, a sect, a cult, or a splinter group makes little difference. The truth is, as history has shown us, that these groups begin to impose their beliefs on others, forcefully and with extreme prejudice at times. Is that what the creator intended? I find that difficult to believe. Leaves one to question, what is the intent?  I'm thinking that intent may be as individual as each one of us. In the deist view of things the creator made the universe, everything in it and just wound it up like a clock and walked away. The creator doesn't interfere, or intervene in what humans do. At least not in " real time. " My thought is, if this creator created it all and wound it up, he would also know the end result. There would be no need for him to intervene because that intervention was built in. But if that were so we wouldn't really have free will at all, we would be constrained by the designer. So perhaps all we do is actually an illusion. It's a question of  who is directing the energy. Do I get to direct or rather redirect that energy when and where I decide? Has that already been determined?
 The former is far more appealing to me. I like to believe I can make a difference as we are prone to say. I like to believe I am in control of my energy. I also believe we are born with an innate knowledge of right and wrong. What is sometimes called the laws of nature guiding our choices, if indeed we have a choice. The difficulty lies in constraint.
 How shall we constrain ourselves from acting outside of what we know to be right and wrong? Shall we do so with reward or punishment? Each has an advantage and disadvantage. The issue with reward is that we want it immediately, or at least, in the near future. Most religions offer the possibility of life after death as the reward, or a better existence on this earth, in the next life. That's not soon enough. The issue with punishment is that it must be self imposed, by belief, to extend beyond this world, this existence. The absence of that belief, the absence of punishment, frees us from the boundary of right and wrong. Then it is a moral free for all. That is why man makes laws, to constrain our behaviors in this world, now. The punishment is not eternal, but it is immediate. Many are willing to make the trade off for immediate satisfaction. Did the creator design it that way? Why would a creator do that?
 It's all a mystery, a mystery the majority attempt to solve in some fashion. Some will just accept whatever is offered as the answer, while others question everything. The scientist claiming to explain the whole thing as an accident of nature without intelligent design. It just happened with a big bang! Of course I haven't heard any scientific explanation for what precipitated that big bang, but I'm assured by the great scientists like Neil DeGrasse Tyson, it will be. I'm very skeptical of that claim. Personally I believe we are energy, as I stated earlier. As that energy I can not be created or destroyed only transformed from one state to another. In so believing that means me, me energy, is transformed in some fashion when this body of mine wears out. We all know what happens to the body, that's no mystery, but what happens to that energy? That's the mystery.
 Science has labeled the Higgs Boson as the God particle. Their reasoning is this particle is what imparts mass to an object. That's in it's simplest term, one that I can understand anyway. But does an object require mass to exist? Science say yes but I'm not convinced of that. To impart mass to an object would require energy is my thinking. Not being a physicist I think of mass as how much something weighs. That's how you measure it anyway. But beyond that I question can you weigh energy? Now we can most definitely measure the effect of energy on an object whether it is electrical or mechanical energy. Still that isn't measuring energy, just its' effect. When I die and that energy leaves my body can that be measured? Some claim so saying it is a measurement of the heat leaving our body, energy transforming from one state to another, hot to cold. Then that energy is absorbed and transformed over again in a continuous cycle. I say, you still haven't measured energy, only the effect that energy has. I say energy has no mass. It is energy that created the universe and everything in it. Can we direct that energy? That's the mystery.
 I offer all of this as nothing more than my thoughts. It is not an essay on religion, religious beliefs or anything else. I don't propose to have any answers regarding the origins of the universe or indeed a creator or God. What it is, is an exploration of motive. Why should I do what I do? Do I need to be concerned with that? Is life an illusion? I'm thinking life is more of a discussion with oneself. Or at least I find myself talking to myself a great deal. Strangely I haven't received that many answers.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment