Thursday, January 2, 2020

Not feeling it

 I'm sixty six years old. I was thinking about that yesterday after writing my post. I was struck by the fact Desert Shield was thirty years ago. It sure doesn't seem like it. But I got to thinking and began to think ,I don't feel like I'm sixty six. Then I thought, what is sixty six supposed to feel like? I don't know, I can only make assumptions. If I were to listen to the television commercials I am either dying or now free to do as I please, depending upon the product being hawked. Apparently I may need stuff to grow my hair, loosen up my joints, keep me regular and a product to keep my mind sharp! And that is just the beginning of the possible remedies, ailments and supplements I may require. And that isn't even mentioning the Silver Singles dating possibilities! Oh, and they sell products to assist in that area as well, Frank Thomas assuring me, she'll like it too.  Still, even with all of that I wonder, how am I supposed to feel? I don't feel sixty six, no matter how they describe it!
 It could be just as I have heard, age is just a state of mind. I can see the reasoning behind that. I don't feel like I'm all grown up! I still haven't decided what I want to be when that happens. Perhaps I'll just turn out to be a corpse! I can hear the voices now, doesn't he look good? Yup, all grown up at last. But I'll try to grow some this year, if that is possible. I have noticed people tend to believe you are grown, or growing, when you agree with their opinions. I've also noticed that facts have little to do with that process. I've also noticed, that for some, growth is just a belief in themselves. Even though I and everyone else knows they are acting in a childish or foolish fashion they believe otherwise. They will insist it is the " adult " response. Age has little to do with that. So yes, age can be just a state of mind.
 Now I'm not concerned with staying young. I already know that ain't gonna happen. I will age, day by day, there is no way around that. I'm not sure what staying young even means? Does it mean staying immature? Nah, you can be old and immature, some say I'm proof of that, I just say, I'm young at heart. Funny how that works isn't it? You are told to grow up, and when doing so you are told to stay young. The whole process seems counterproductive. Well that's because growing up really means, agree with me. This whole getting older stuff is quite confusing. I'm told to act my age but what age am I supposed to be? Where's the rule book on that? How is someone sixty six supposed to act? And how come someone younger than that are the experts? How the hell do they know? Damn kids think they know it all. Well I had an old farmer tell me once, " the more you know, the less you think you know. " I tend to agree with that statement. I used to think I knew what it felt like to be old. I don't know why I thought that but I was convinced. Turns out, if I'm an indication, old people have much the same thoughts as younger people. Oh sure I have decided upon some likes and dislikes along the way. I like a certain genre of music, certain foods, books and movies. I've lost interest in some things, drinking, smoking, partying till all hours, stuff like that. But I sure don't feel sixty six, I think. What does sixty six feel like? Depends upon who is doing the feeling I expect. A matter of mind over matter. I don't mind being sixty six so it don't matter. It does matter when I want the senior discount though. There are advantages. Hey Consumer Celluar and AARP got my back, for a reduced fee anyway. I admit I do feel a bit insulted by some of their advertising. I don't have a flip phone anymore and I don't need larger numbers, I have glasses you know! And there really is no need to dumb down the technology for us senior people. If I want to learn it I will, I just don't need to know that. You realize that at my age my brain is getting pretty full, lots of knowledge there. Only so much room. I have to choose carefully what to discard to make room for new stuff. Sometimes it just ain't worth it. That's why I don't learn the new tech! No amount of Prevagen is going to help with that. Brain supplements, really? I'll just use the " app " for that, Consumer Celluar provides that for free, I suspect they are hoping I will remember to pay the bill.
 In six months, if I make it far, I'll be sixty seven. I wonder how I'm supposed to feel then? Maybe if I start studying on that now I'll get an understanding of it. I could ask my wife but she doesn't act her age, so I'm thinking that won't help. I could ask my Mother, she's ninety, but I already know her answer. Grow up for God's sake, what's a matter with you? She's been saying that to me for sixty six years no reason to believe that would change. Only one thing to do, wait. Be patient. I'm just not feeling it. Tomorrow, as Charlotte pointed out, is another day.
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment