Monday, January 20, 2020

Let us pray

 Today I am concerned with the planned gun rights rally in Virginia. I just feel like it is a powder keg. The Governor has declared a state of emergency, before any emergency has occurred. I can certainly understand taking precautions, a preemptive measure. What concerns me is a perception, by some factions, that government is overstepping its' bounds with these measures. The fear being it may have quite the opposite effect. Emotions are running high, extremely high, regarding our second amendment rights. I am one to support the second amendment although not to the extreme. It is the extremists on either end of the issue that causes this concern.
 I do have an unsettled feeling about this. It may turn into a pivotal moment in history. Yes, I believe it has that potential. I've already read and heard several conspiracy theories. There are those working on both sides to slant public opinion in their favor. I've heard that the plan is for the government to disarm law abiding gun owners using this rally as a springboard for that action. The plan is to plant " activists " in that crowd to spark violence. The left could then use that as justification for confiscation. There are those on the extreme right that are more than willing to cooperate. There are those that can be lead to such an extreme, easily. 
 This rally could prove to be the proverbial line in the sand. It is my hope that no one steps over that line. I can see both sides of this coin. I firmly oppose the dismantling of the Constitution and its' amendments. The very reason we have the second amendment is to prevent the government from taking away our rights. It really has little to do with the right to own arms, it has everything to do with the right to defend ourselves against government oppression. To remove the rights of the law abiding citizen because of the actions of criminals makes no sense. Should there be some restrictions? Of course there should be. Those supporting the second amendment like myself aren't arguing that we should have automatics weapons and that we should be able to walk around armed like the wild west! No, my concern isn't with that, my concern rests with government overstepping its' authority. The removal of the second amendment, or placing such prohibitive restrictions upon its' exercise as to render it useless, is a severe restriction of liberty! Liberty is worth defending. And therein lies the powder keg. 
 I will defend liberty by every legal means available. I still believe in the rule of law and the constitution. It is my firm belief the necessity for a " well armed militia " still exists to this day. A people that can not defend themselves against government are not really free. History shows us the eventual result of an unarmed population. The founding fathers were all too well aware of that. One can argue over semantics and what words mean all day long. A militia was created first simply because a fledgling nation can't finance an Army! That's just the reality. But the important thing to remember is, a country's standing army shouldn't replace its' citizens. And I believe those citizens requires arms in defense. 
 I sincerely hope I am wrong about today. I'm hoping for a renewal of my faith in humanity. I hope no one does anything rash or stupid. I hope no one lights the proverbial match. It's a tense situation in Richmond. Let's all pray that cool heads prevail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment