Saturday, January 18, 2020

Inspired or amused

 Talent isn't taught. That is something I wholeheartedly believe. You can be instructed in just about anything, learn the basics, the art of the action, but talent can't be taught. Talent is an inherent trait, inherited from some mysterious combination of chromosomes, a part of your DNA. I think the key to all that is believing you have talent. You have to convince yourself first, others will follow, maybe. But from where does that conviction flow? Is it solely in the acknowledgement of others? That certainly seems to be the case, at least in a commercial sense. And if you are not commercially successful, you are not successful at all. You may be a success in your own mind but without  recognition is it reality? I'd say that is where the water gets murky. Reality is a perception and each one of us has a slightly different one. 
 I have learned many trades over the years. I am by no means expert in any one of them. Commonly called a Jack of all Trades and master at none. I think that is an accurate description. I do know a little about a lot of different disciplines. I can wire a house, fix your car, shingle your roof, pour concrete, run every machine in the machine shop, fix your plumbing and a number of other trade related activities. I would also say I don't have a particular talent for any one of them. I can't draw, paint, sculpture or anything like that. No artist here. Most of what I learned was out of necessity, I very rarely hire anyone to do any of those things for me. I have in the last few years as I am getting just too old to lie on the ground , under a car, fooling around with that stuff. I am making some allowances for myself, a sort of reward. 
 Starting about ten years ago I began writing these blogs. Prior to that I hadn't written much, a few poems, although I would describe them more as rhymes, a toying with words and thoughts. I have had zero training in composition and literature. I'm not even that well read, as the saying goes. But I don't believe that is a necessity. As I said in the beginning, talent can't be taught. I don't think I'm particularly talented when it comes to writing. I do so because I enjoy doing it. I do harbor some hope that I may leave some words of substance along the way. Even a single quote can immortalize you! And isn't that an encouraging thought? It is to me. Consider this surprisingly inspirational quote, " Words build bridges into unexplored regions." It sure sounds encouraging, intelligent and profound. Who said it? Adolf Hitler! Yup, that is something he wrote. He isn't remembered for that, but if he hadn't been a total psycho and one of the evilest men to ever walk the earth, he might have been. Nobody wants to quote Hitler! Another great observational quote " It takes less courage to criticize the decisions of others than to stand by your own. " That was Attila the Hun. Who would have thought. " The really strong have no need to prove it to the phonies. " Charles Manson. I have to say those quotes are words of substance dispute who said them. So I figure unless I do something really notorious I stand a chance of being quoted one day. Who said that? Why Ben Reichart said that! Who is he? 
 The answer to that question is one I think about often. Just who am I? Well, I'm just a jack of all trades and master at none. Do I have a particular talent? I'm not certain that I do, nor am I certain that I need one. It's true that we all feel like we a knack for something, something we can do better than others. Apparently my knack is annoying others, I can do that easily enough. Proficiency and talent are separate things. You can be quite proficient at a task, but lack talent for that task. Talent requires inspiration, that is what motivates that. I guess if you figure out what inspires you , you will find your talent. The expression of thought is what inspires me even when I don't agree with the thought!  I don't believe I have much of a talent for it though. Maybe I'm not really inspired, just amused. There is a very fine line between the two. The difference between faith and belief.  

No comments:

Post a Comment