Wednesday, January 8, 2020

standing by

 I got up and heard the news that Iran had launched missiles into Iraq. They hit some bases were American troops are stationed in response to the killing of their general. I don't think anyone was surprised by that, the Iranians have been attacking the Iraqi's since Biblical times. Contrary to what the New York Times would have you believe, President Trump didn't start this anomonisty. The President will give an address later today. It is a tense time, I get that and all we can do is pray for the best.
 I saw some on the news, and have read some postings on social media, about out troops being deployed to the middle east. I hear complaints about that. Now this isn't going to be a popular view, I get it, but everyone needs to remember that is why you join the armed forces in the first place! That is the job you signed up to do. I've read where I only signed up to afford to go to college, or I only signed up to learn a trade, or I signed up for the benefits. Maybe that is what you were thinking but the job is defending the nation against all enemies foreign and domestic. You took an oath to follow the orders of those appointed over you, and the orders of the commander in chief! I'm well aware of that oath as I took it in 1971! I will add that I retired in 1993 but that didn't relieve me of my oath. I stand ready to serve if called up. I have enjoyed the benefits and privilege's of service and I am obligated. Do I want to fight a war? No, I don't want to, but it isn't about what I want, it's about honor and duty to the nation. That's what it's about.
 I grow annoyed when I hear those complaints. It is what you signed up to do! I'm not saying you should be happy about it, I know I wasn't, but it is the job! Not much point in having a military if the military members get to choose what they want to do. I'll be in the Army as long as I don't have to go to war. This is a time for action, not talk. I guess I'm not so upset that the people are saying such as the fact that the news outlet are doing stories about that. Stories that seem to be supporting that stance. Oh the tragedy, the hardship and loss before anything has even happened! Certain people should be " excused " from having to go into harms way. You know those that are married, with children, or pets! And we shouldn't send the young single men either, not without counselors and smart phones. Yes, I heard that the troops were instructed to not bring their smart phones. There is a reason for that you know. Your location will be known! But I heard complaining that I won't be able to call home.
 I recall the protests and refusal to answer the draft in the 1960's. A great deal of that was fueled by the press. Headline news and film at eleven. Draft dodgers running to Canada, sit in's and all that. I was there when the troops returned home to be met with hate, I was there when they were called every vile name those draft dodging cowards could utter. And today I'm hearing that media saying how we shouldn't go and fight at all. We should just send them blankets and money! We shouldn't put our military members in harms way! We shouldn't ask them to do that. We should be electing our enemies to the Congress, and we have! We have those claiming to be Iranians at our border complaining that they are being questioned and entry into the United States delayed. Seems more than reasonable to me as the Iranians consistently chant death to America! Just who do you think they mean?
 Well I said it wouldn't be a popular stance but it is what I think. I felt the same way in the 1960's. Some things never change. We are obligated to do our part in the world. We have signed treaties and agreements, given our word. Whether you agree with them or not isn't the point. The point is you should support your nation and your nations goals. That's being a patriot! If you can't do that, leave the nation you are in and go to one that you can. It's as simple as that. I watched as many fled to Canada only to demand reentry into the United States without reprisal. President Ford granted conditional amnesty in an attempt to heal the nations wounds. They could return if they reaffirmed their allegiance to the United States and served two years in a public service job. When Carter was elected, on his first day in office, he granted unconditional amnesty, fulfilling a campaign promise. It wasn't for the healing of the nation, it was simply payment for obtaining votes. I haven't forgotten that. And now we have a President that will defend the nation and there are cries for his removal! Indeed the Democrats have already impeached him and are now threatening to vote on war powers legislation! No interest in defending the nation, only in removing the commander in chief.
 Well, that's my thoughts anyway. I'm standing by, if needed.     

No comments:

Post a Comment