Sunday, April 15, 2018

tunnel vision


 Last evening I attended my granddaughters dance recital. I have been watching her for years now and this may be the last one. I can't be certain but it's a possibility. Morgan has persevered like few others when it comes to dancing. I can't remember all the broken bones she has suffered and just one year ago a major surgery on her back. Undeterred and determined she once again graced the stage, not only with the company,  but in a duet and as a soloist ! That she displayed style and grace is unquestioned. Surely, all the girls that know and dance with her must be inspired by her sheer grit ! And , trust me, she has grit.
 As I watched the show I had a sort of tunnel vision. I would see her performing and at the same time see her shows from the past. It was like looking down a tunnel of time. From watching her do " I'm a little teapot " to " waves " by Dean Lewis, whoever that is, I watched her dance. To describe the time as bittersweet is surely a cliché. Still, I can't think of a better term to explain my emotion. My granddaughter, grown and dancing. I see the little girl in her every move, her every smile and grin, although her form denies that. A woman child for sure. Time can play tricks on your mind and sometimes your memory.
 I wonder what future challenges await her. I have no doubt she will overcome any obstacles put in her way. There are still a few years of high school, she has time. I do believe the dancing has become an amusement she no longer enjoys as much as she used to. It has to be painful at times, not to mention inconvenient. She has reached that age where the pursuits of a teenager may not include commitment to a dance company. You are obligated to be in certain places at certain times, not always enjoyable. She certainly has the right to choose her hobbies, and this dance is exactly that. Morgan has no delusions of grander, she is aware of her abilities and limitations. What is more important is that she is aware of that, accepting of reality, and is okay with that. Definitely a sign of maturity, she is growing up.
 Was this the last dance ? That will be up to Morgan. I am fine with whatever she choses. She has earned the right to decide for herself. She has earned my full support. Yes, she worked hard, persevered and returned to dance when most would have quit. Morgan has set all that aside, the surgeries, the rehabilitation, and yes, the naysayers. She strode out upon that stage and performed ! And now I can feel my eyes starting to leak a bit, must be the pollen in the air. Just as surely as Spring has arrived, Morgan danced her way across my heart once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment