Saturday, April 28, 2018

Popularity and profit

 I, along with everyone else in the world noticed the Korea thing happening. North and South meeting in the demilitarized zone, planting a pine tree. The rocket man promising to dismantle his arsenal. But does anyone believe this ? It is being met with extreme skepticism that much is certain and well it should. I certainly don't trust Kim Jung Un.  At the same time hope runs high for those directly effected in those countries. Will there be a reunification ? It may happen one day but not anytime soon. The question on everyone's mind is why. Why is Kim Jung Un willing to negotiate ? Why is it he couldn't be more cooperate ?
 Well I'm no foreign relations expert. I don't know a great deal in the way of foreign policy and diplomacy. I do know he has been heavily sanctioned and it has cost him a lot of money. I'm equally as certain his friends are tired of footing the bill as well. Then his rockets blow up and it doesn't look very good on the international stage. His people have got to be getting a bit upset and restless with all his posturing and rhetoric. He threatens the greatest military in the world, ours, and our president responds with, my rocket is bigger than yours ! Probably not the response he was hoping for or counting on. Regardless of your feelings regarding President Trump he has made it clear that he will not be bullied ! No one, including Donald Trump himself ever claimed he was diplomatic. He is a businessman that is used to making the deal ! Yes, it has always been to his benefit to do so, but that, that is just business. He wasn't running a charity. And, by the way, neither is our government ! Popularity and profit make strange bedfellows. As a general rule, if you are making a profit, especially if that benefits someone else, you will be a popular guy. Doesn't appear to be the case here, with Donald Trump, but his term isn't over either. If he began giving all the profit to charities, you know those that don't want to actually work for it, his popularity would definitely soar ! But, that's another thing altogether.
 The question is why. I think Kim Jung Un is acting the way he is right now for only one reason. It is his desire to remain in power. His generals may be getting a little bit worried about him and figure it is time for him to go. That's the normal course of action when it comes to dictators and such.  His country is running low on funds and no relief in sight. No one in their right mind wants to start a nuclear exchange. Say whatever you want about the little guy he ain't crazy. He is well aware of what could happen and with Trump it is a greater risk than ever before. So Kim in my estimation is now maneuvering a different path. He needs to endear himself to the people. How best to do that ? Join the families from the north and south once again. It is an action similar to taking down the Berlin wall. Kim Jung Un the great unifier ! Surely his generals and others wouldn't dare to harm him if all the people loved him. A promise of peace, unification and prosperity for the Korean peninsula. What a great and magnanimous gesture. And he remains in power ! That's the end game here.
 Who gets the credit ? I don't know and I don't care is my response. If the threat of nuclear proliferation is realized that is all that matters to me. How those people live in their countries really doesn't concern me. I don't feel any great obligation to be the morality police of the world. As long as they aren't threatening to attack me, I'll leave them alone. We have established world organizations to address those human rights issues and international laws. All of that is only done by a gentlemen's agreement. Unilateral condemnation of the actions of certain nations has taken place over the years. Military strikes have been authorized and agreed upon. The big question is, do we have the right to impose our will upon any nation that doesn't go along with that gentlemen's agreement, to any nation that doesn't join the club ? Those in the club believe that they do indeed have that right, and more so view it as an obligation. Best thing to do is just join the club. Go with the flow. Kim Jung Un can proclaim I once was lost, but now I'm found ! World forgive me and make me profitable , I mean popular once more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment