Sunday, April 29, 2018

a beginning

 Is there a beginning to an end ? There is, in as far as defined limits. The challenge lies in identifying the beginning ? When did it start ? Is the starting point a wholly subjective thing ? Yes I think it has to be as we can't know the true start to life. Man has developed many theories about that. The big two being, divine creation and the big bang. I subscribe to the first simply because things don't happen by accident, especially an ordered universe. All that is something I have discussed at length a few times. This morning I was wondering about a beginning to an end. And just what has ended ? Ah, that is the heart of the matter. That is what I am thinking about. Truth is, I don't believe anything has ended, but is in decline. A beginning to an end. I am aware of a moral decline in our society. John Adams wrote, " our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. " What moral and religious practices was he referring to ? In my mind it had to be Judeo-Christian values. Surely the Bible was the guide he used and referenced in his own life. He was a Protestant after all. I think it fair to say we could consider the adoption of that document as a " beginning " of defined moral values. That document separated the religious from the government, not from morality itself. A distinction being lost on far too many today in my opinion.  But, back to the question about a beginning to an end.
 I make no claim to being a historian or a scholar. I am more a collector of general trivia than anything else. I am aware of significant events in the history of our nation. There have been good and bad. It began with those first ten amendments to the constitution. The bill of rights solidifying the founders intentions that were not made clear in the original document. We are all aware of certain ones, the first, second and fifth being the most often quoted. The thirteenth and fifteenth are often cited as well. The point I am making is that all of those rights added to the moral and ethical practices deemed appropriate to the governing of a moral and religious people. The Supreme court has been tasked with interpreting those instructions and further defining those rights. For me, in 1973 that court made a landmark decision. It was a decision that for me, marks the beginning of the end. It was a decision that stated a woman has the right to kill her unborn child. That's correct, the court ruled it is a right to murder the unborn. I can in no way understand how that decision is for a moral and religious people ! Isn't that what John Adams said the Constitution was written to govern ? If that ruling isn't contrary to that purpose, I can think of no other. One could also argue the case for equal rights. If a woman has the right to murder the unborn doesn't that include the man ? After all, regardless of any other modern day thinking it does require a male to create that child in the first place so shouldn't they have an equal say ? You can't get pregnant by accident through any other method other than engaging in a physical relationship. Yes you could get artificially inseminated, that technology exists, by not by accident. All of that is not my point however. What I am saying is once the Supreme court decided murder was a viable choice they abandoned the original intent of the constitution which was to govern a " moral and religious people. "
 Is that the beginning of the end ? In my view it is. If you have to choose a beginning it is what comes to the forefront of my thinking. As I said I'm no scholar or historian and perhaps I have missed something along the way. Maybe other people, more learned than myself could cite other examples equally as egregious. I have certainly seen more " rulings " in the years following that decision that run contrary to a moral and religious people than any other time in history I am aware of. If I am wrong, correct me. That is my thinking this morning. Is there a beginning to an end ? " All good things must come to an end, but all bad things can continue forever. " Thornton Wilder  So I guess what I am asking is, will this continue forever, or is it a beginning to an end ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment