Friday, April 20, 2018

standardized answers

   I just love a rousing discussion and yesterday I had several. I get amused when the only ideas coming from the other side are suggestions about what I might do, or where I may go. One has to be amused. Yes, call it a smug satisfaction if you will, but the truth is the truth and stands alone. I just shake my head in wonder at some comments directed my way. Some of these folks are obviously reading my profile and that amuses me. Do you read strangers profiles when interacting with them ? I can't say that I have ever done that myself, I don't see the point. I certainly place no faith in the accuracy of what may be written there. I'm not saying people are dishonest, but some are,  shall we say creative. Now I never attended a college or university and so I say I graduated from the university of life, I think that was a suggestion posted on a drop down list or something like that. I can't tell you how many have referenced that as evidence that I am surely unintelligent ! Yes it's true, if you went to college you are smarter than other people. Those college folks know that because they were taught that, you guessed it, in college ! They even took out loans to pay for that without realizing they had to pay those loans back, and then accuse me of ignorance. Very amusing. Even more amusing is when they want me to pay for their education because I have a job.
 Look I admire and respect the value of a good education as much as anyone else. I am also aware of the criteria for achieving that diploma. The requirement is to be able to answer the questions posed by the professors teaching your class. No different than high school really. Read the material, have the teacher explain what you read, and then test you on that material. Did you remember the correct answer ? If you did and repeated it like you were taught, you pass. That's how it works. Is that a measure of intelligence ? I'd say it was a measure of your ability to retain information presented to you. Is that intelligence ? No, no it isn't. Intelligence requires that not only can you acquire knowledge or information but apply that same knowledge in actual practice. I have to say I have certainly known a number of college graduates that had information but no idea how to apply it. Nowadays they call that critical thinking, it's a course you can take.  They will teach you how to do that. Think, common core. This how you are to think. Well, just remember this,  you are not to think for yourself.
 Well, whatever the case I had a good time. I left the discussions feeling pretty good. I had made my point and the responses just validated that. That's why the name calling, that's what you do when you can't respond with anything intelligent, you fall back to default mode, repeat the standard answer. You're an idiot, or some other disparaging remark. Very amusing. I even had one individual referencing my hygiene habits. I did assure that person I did indeed cleanse by rectal area after defecating as it seemed of importance to that person. Yup, I wipe. She must have learned that answer while in college or kindergarten, I can't be sure which. Of course the bottom line was the standard response. I enjoy white privilege, know nothing of the struggles of the minorities, and am surely a Trump supporter. Hah hah. And my biggest fault ? I believe that people are accountable for the choices they make. Imagine that it is your fault ! Well that fact combined with the nasty habit of telling the truth as I see it. I listen to what others are saying and then, gasp, state my own opinion. I apply what knowledge I have acquired in life and arrive at my own conclusion. Then I won't apologize for that. I get called names. That is supposed to influence my thinking I guess.
 I love my life and I'm not afraid to live it. It has to be terrible being afraid all the time. Afraid to have an opinion, afraid to admit the truth, afraid of everything. What if I'm not popular ? What if I don't say the expected answer ?  I don't understand how those folks live with all that insecurity. Is that why those same folks want the government to decide everything ? Independent thought is just too hard ! I have been told the answer, I'll just repeat that, no matter what. 

No comments:

Post a Comment