Sunday, April 8, 2018

the right word

 Occasionally I review what I have written in the past, sometimes on purpose, sometimes by accident. I ran across a posting from November of last year that struck a chord with me. The title is Forbearance. I had experienced a moment , misinterpreted that moment initially, and then came to realize what I had witnessed was forbearance. Forbearance being patient self control, restraint and tolerance. Resignation is synonymous with forbearance according to the thesaurus but I don't feel that way about it. I can feel a subtle difference between those actions. To resign is to quit in my thinking. Forbearance on the other hand is a patient and calculated response to a given situation. And after reading my previous posting about forbearance I thought that is what is lacking today from those on the left, forbearance. We are seeing emotional responses to situations that requires a stoic acceptance of reality. We are seeing that in a lot of areas these days. Everything from illegal immigration to gun control and illegal drug usage. These issues should be dealt with, with forbearance, not resignation. And the left is just throwing their hands up in the air and giving up. They rally and rail against reality,  invoking emotional responses that accomplish nothing but fostering further discord. They propose legislation as a knee jerk reaction to events no one can control. Violent people commit violent actions and the response is, remove the means of violence ? How can we accomplish that ? Cain slew Abel with a rock ! What can we remove ?
 I didn't always know this but have discovered I am a man that loves words. I do search for the exact word to describe whatever emotion I am feeling. I find semantics especially troubling. I know what I am saying but don't always understand others. Semantics is concerned with logic and concepts, although not limited by those. I'm thinking we have a lack of effective communication these days. We can't seem to agree on the meaning or intent of words. I don't believe you can redefine words written two hundred years ago to fit the current narrative. Those words have to be understood in the time period they were being used. Take for example the term " arms. " That is being heavily debated these days. Just what are " arms ? " The answer is armaments ! Items used to defend yourself against attack or used to attack an enemy. That is arms. Arguably the first armament was a rock and has certainly expanded from there. So, when the second amendment was written and ratified two hundred and twenty seven years ago what were they talking about ? Anything used to arm yourself is the answer, up to and including (fire)arms ! There were no restrictions placed upon that.
 The Constitution of the United States was written for what purpose ? The preamble clearly states that purpose. The intent was to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity. In short it was written for the people. Has that intent changed ? I don't think so. There intentions are the same intentions we have today. Has man changed since then ? No, we haven't changed all that much despite our claims of being civilized. Despite our claims of advanced knowledge and understanding the things that motivate men to act as they do, we have not changed. The original plan, the blueprint is just as valid today as the day it was written. It is for that reason I say we need to exercise forbearance. Yup, that's the word I was looking for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment