Sunday, April 1, 2018

Easter

 When I was small Easter meant, new clothes, the Easter bunny and ham for dinner. The bunny came first, of course, as that basket was there and waiting when I got up. I could eat a few pieces of candy before breakfast and church. Mostly,  I think we had the hard boiled eggs. I don't recall getting toys at all, just that basket full of goodies.
 All us kids got new church clothes. Oh, it varied year to year depending on current fortune I suppose but at a minimum new shoes and pants and a shirt. Yes, we jokingly called them, our Sunday go to meetins'. On Easter day all the girls had their bonnets and little white gloves. The boys would have a suit. It was an exciting time. After the service everyone stood around outside the church taking pictures. That was back in the day when taking a pictures was reserved for special occasions. I am fortunate to have a few from back then. I have one with my sister and I all dressed and ready for Easter Sunday services. Easter is picture worthy !
 Ham would be for dinner. Some years we had company and others not. Easter dinner was sorta a big deal, not like Thanksgiving, but an important meal. We ate that dinner in the early afternoon if I remember right. We would still be in our Easter outfits. After dinner, Easter was over. We could eat our candy at will. And that is pretty much how Easter went at my house.
 Some years back I bought the grandkids Easter outfits, the traditional ones, but it didn't go over too well. I did get a picture of my granddaughter with an Easter bonnet on and the white gloves, the only time I think she wore them. I remember not being able to find a suit for my grandson and had to settle for just a vest. Now that I think about it, it took a few stores to find a Easter bonnet. It was something the wife and I did more for ourselves than anything else. I guess we tried to capture a bit of our youth. The kids were " amused " that is how I would put it, amused. New clothes wasn't anything new or especially exciting to them and having their picture taken was a everyday thing. Time marches on as the saying goes and so traditions march along with it, sometimes those traditions fall by the wayside.
 Happy Easter everyone. He is risen, he is risen indeed !  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment