Monday, April 23, 2018

Trinkets

 I was talking with my sister last evening when the conversation took a turn toward the nostalgic. Seems that happens a lot these days. I guess after a certain age we do that unconsciously thinking it was only a few days or weeks ago. It was only after counting up the years we both realized we were talking about fifty years ago or so. Yes, I said fifty years or so that nonchalantly. Ah, what's a decade here and there. Anyway, we began to wonder what the grandkids will remember from today that will be nostalgia for them. I mean, what will they remember as a every day thing that will no longer be around ? As an example my sister and I remember buying bottles of coca cola from the vending machine for ten cents. Then we got a two cent deposit returned to us. I see those type of things on Facebook all the time. Things like pencil sharpeners, can openers or roller skate keys. Do you remember ? Of course I remember, I'm not senile you know.
 We both found it difficult to imagine what type of things those kids may remember. Will smart phones change ? I recall having to ask the operator to make a long distance call, what will the kids remember ? Funny how things just creep in without you really being aware. I didn't give it much thought until I looked it up but pocket calculators weren't around when I was little. They didn't arrive until I was in high school ! Yet, I remember them as always having been around it seems. A transistor radio was a novelty when I was young too. Cable television ? Microwave ovens and personal computers. Just what will those kids remember fondly ? Maybe it will be something as mundane as cash money. Will actual paper money and coins disappear in favor of electronic transfers ? That seems within the realm of possibility. It is difficult to imagine. I gave my own grandkids rides in the back of my pick up truck and they already talk about that like it was a big deal. To them, I suppose it was and an experience not shared with all their friends. Almost like riding in a horse and buggy in their minds. It was that old school to them.
 Following that the conversation turned to what those same kids may cherish in that future. What little items might they have an attachment too ? Could it be a pocket knife ? I don't know, I still carry one every day although it is risky business. I have to remember I have it when going to the airport or other high security places. Will they be brave enough to retain that or view it in a different way. I have a few hand tools that belonged to Dad. I have some painting done my Mom. That is the type of things we were wondering about. Property and money are all transient things. It is the trinkets that become treasure. Our memories could be viewed as trinkets in time as well. All the little things.  Trinkets ? No, I think they are just too valuable to be called that. They are the treasures of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment