Saturday, April 14, 2018

a strike

 It's early and I haven't listened to the news yet this morning. I did turn on my computer to hear we, along with England and France sent some missiles into Syria. My initial reaction was, this ain't good. It was news I read with some degree of trepidation. I believe anyone with a brain in their head should feel that way. But after the initial reaction I had to agree that it was necessary. All this talk and diplomacy has failed, it is time for action. I'll be watching and listening to see what develops from all this. The anti-Trumpers are going to be going ballistic is my feeling. That's no surprise. They go ballistic no matter what he says or does. I am pleased that our allies joined in. It's about time.
 Whereas I don't always feel like what other countries do is necessarily our business, I am a bit of an isolationist, we couldn't let that go unpunished. There are international laws and agreements that bind the world together. We can not allow nations to go rouge. They have been warned, repeatedly and continue in their actions. I'm not certain what the response from Russia will be. I'm hoping it is nothing more than strong words and posturing. Putin is no fool and doesn't want to engage in any major conflict. It's a battle of ego's and determination. Just who will blink first !
 I expect the Navy will make it's presence known in the area. A battlegroup will surely be deployed, if it isn't already. I can't see troops on the ground. At least not during an active strike against Assad. Perhaps after the major damage has been done, troops will be sent in to maintain order. But all of that is for the politicians to decide and figure out. Diplomats will settle the dust. As I said I haven't listened to the news yet. I can say this much, I'm betting there is oil, profits or some other resource as the underlining factor in this. We aren't doing it just because we are the " good " guys that want to help the Syrian people. That's the part the pundits will profess. I harbor no such illusions. That doesn't mean I don't agree with the action, only the motives for those actions.
 I'm anxious to see what happens next. What will be the Russian response ? That some group or groups will attempt to retaliate to some fashion is without question. Americans are in danger, no doubt. Still it had to be done and we must not be intimidated. It is time to stand firm, the first blow has been struck, we shouldn't hesitate or falter in our resolve to settle the question.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment