Thursday, March 31, 2016

The advocate

 Lately I have found myself in an uncomfortable spot, being the devils' advocate. Let me be clear in that in no way do I support Donald J Trump. Yet, I find myself upset about the politics surrounding this man. That he is disliked, reviled even, goes without question. It is also true that everything that can be done to stop him from winning the necessary delegates for the Republican nomination is being done. The plotting, scheming and conniving is obvious to even the most casual of observers. The stand I am taking that places me in this advocates seat is that the election process should play out as designed. I do believe that the person receiving the nomination should be the one chosen by the popular vote. Regardless of whether or not the party likes that person, that should be the case. The party leaders do not, and I can't stress that enough, do not get to select the nominee ! Should Donald J Trump receive the necessary 1237 delegates the nomination is his, period. This is not going to happen and it is known already that it will not happen. All that remains is creating an illusion of " fairness. " Somehow the Republican party must pull off this maneuvering without alienating there constituency. It is going to take a real Houdini act.
 Now, as I said I don't support Donald J Trump. I do not believe he has the qualifications or personality to fulfill that job. He is " The Donald " an egotistic billionaire. He is all about Donald and all about winning. He says and does the things that he does because he is not a career politician. Politics is not his game. When he loses this bid for the nomination, and I firmly believe he will, he will cry about it and blame somebody else. The bottom line for him however is, he hasn't lost his job. His job is not politics ! In fact he is priding himself on being politically incorrect ! That alone has gained him much support at the polls. Sometimes the things we believe we want or need, are precisely what we shouldn't have ! This is a case in point. There is nothing presidential about Donald Trump.
 The only thing I advocate for is an even playing field. In this case it appears that I am advocating for Trump. That is not the case at all but I labor against that perception. It is not okay to rig the election because you don't like who is winning. This Republican campaign is turning into a Keystone cops situation. As a registered Republican I am feeling a little embarrassed by it all. Remember when they wanted Donald to sign the " pledge ? " Well I guess " pledging " doesn't really mean much to the Republican party as they have now reversed on that several times. The panic is real among those career politicians. Their jobs are at risk and they are well aware. The problem is, how do we get him to go away ? Hillary Clinton will receive the Democratic nomination, that is also a forgone conclusion. Trump may or may not defeat her in a general election. The Republicans' don't want to take that risk. Hillary does have some baggage and Donald Trump isn't afraid to open those bags !
 It is going to be a long hot summer. A third party will enter the race to muddy the waters. I can see this situation only getting worse. I figure long about June it will come to a head. Ted Cruz will somehow get the nomination. Voter fraud will be rampant, all parties hollering about that, but the results will stand. If Hillary survives the summer, without indictment, she will be there in the fall. Some will refuse to vote due to disgust with the whole scenario. I will dutifully cast my ballot, although at the moment I am undecided. I am not seeing a viable candidate from either party. Maybe the third party person, unless of course that turns out to be Donald Trump. All one can do is vote their conscience.
 I do believe that there are many plots afoot to derail Donald Trump in his bid for the nomination. Not that these machinations haven't taken place in the past, they have every since there were elections, but these are so obvious. No attempt to conceal anything. Well nothing short of criminal that is. Call me a skeptic if you will but I wouldn't rule that out either. The politicians don't want to lose their jobs, understandable, and the Republican party wants to win the White house. Both goals are of paramount importance. We have long been a two party system for all intents and purposes. The ideology of both parties has evolved and changed over the years. Both parties have always seized upon whatever divisive issues that are current to further their candidates. Both parties have jumped the fence on more than one occasion. This time they are just tearing the fence down altogether. No holds barred in 2016 !  

No comments:

Post a Comment