Friday, March 18, 2016

secular reflections

 I read other blogs for the same reason I hope others read mine, to gain a different insight or point of view. I don't read a large circle of them and so I find my thoughts and ideas are usually inline with those that I do read. It is human nature I suppose. I wouldn't want to read, on a continuing basis, anyone I find myself at odds with. It can cause anger and rebuttal. I have found it best to temper my rebuttals to avoid a series of, mostly nonproductive discussion. This morning I did read one that caused me to think. It comes from my friend Barbara. No surprise there, she can be an inspiration. She was talking about the celebrating of St. Patricks' Day and other non-religious holidays. How they seem to have taken on a greater importance than our traditional holidays. She proposed a theory about why that is and I would have to agree. Her theory is; as we, the country, move towards a more secular society we are shifting the focus on celebrating these lesser holidays in order to give that same celebratory experience to our children without invoking the religious. In short, being politically correct. I hadn't thought of it in quite that way but it makes sense. As a result St. Patricks' day, Halloween, Memorial Day and Veterans day, which incidentally have both just turned into three day weekends, are celebrated with all the furor we can muster.
 In thinking about what Barbara was saying it occurred to me that we have shifted the focus of the salient reason for our holidays. In the past, traditionally our focus was on the recognition of our God. We celebrated Easter and Christmas in our schools and our homes. Easter was celebrated by the theme of rebirth. It was spring and Christ has risen. We got new clothes to wear to church, held a parade and celebrated the resurrection. In our schools we had Easter Bunnies and all of that. I don't know but I expect that has been scaled back considerably. Christmas was a time of gift giving. The gifts were given in response to the gift we had received. Our savior had been born, that was the celebration. It is the birthday of Jesus ! That is what was taught in school and at home. It was a time of great joy. not for the gifts received from others, but for the gift we were given by God. Now we are told to not even say, Merry Christmas, but the more generic Happy Holidays. Just what is it that we are celebrating ?
 All of this is in response to being inclusive. Inclusive doesn't mean abandoning your own beliefs however. Inclusive does not mean to be exclusive either. God has always been the foundation of the American experience. I have had this argument many times and my opinion remains unchanged. We are one nation, under God, regardless of when that phrase ( under God ) was added to the pledge. It remains a valid statement to this day. The separation of church and state is an important feature in our republic that can not be denied. That separation was created not to exclude God from the conversation but to limit that influence on government policies. We pride ourselves on being inclusive.
 And so I am left thinking about what Barbara was saying. Just what are we celebrating these days ? Why are we shifting from the spiritual to the secular ? Is that a healthy attitude to teach our children ? These " lesser holidays " are centered around what themes ? St. Patrick Day is all about drinking green beer and being leprechauns. Memorial day is a three day weekend. The majority of the population under the age of thirty probably can't even tell you what it means. Veterans Day is just a day off. It has something to do with Veterans is the most common response I get when I ask. What is Halloween all about ? Getting candy and dressing up. What cultural value does it hold ? It has become just another day to party. Has that what our holidays have become ? Well that is the standard definition of holiday, a day of festivities. I believe the reason for the holiday is just as important as the holiday itself ! If it isn't, then why not everyday ? The reason for the suspension of productivity should be a good one. Even God took a day off, that is true, but I'm glad he didn't decide to take two or three ! And we were told the purpose of that day as well. A day of rest and reflection. What are we to reflect upon with the secular ?  

No comments:

Post a Comment