Wednesday, March 16, 2016

LIsten closely

 It would appear that the Republican party is going to face a moral dilemma. The Donald has won again. The party as a whole isn't happy about it. Strategists' in the party are trying to figure a way out of this. Unfortunately Mr. Trump keeps fulfilling the requirements to receive the nomination. The dilemma is following the process and allowing it to work, as designed regardless of which candidate wins, or using loopholes to circumvent that. The media refers to the possibility of a " contested " convention. The real term is " brokered " so I'm not sure why they are using contested. Maybe the media just likes the word contested as it sounds more confrontational. Brokered sounds like it is being sold. Really a brokered convention is where the delegates choose who they want to receive the nomination for President. The popular vote may be ignored ! It is nothing new in the process, just that it doesn't happen often. That is what the party wants to happen now as it may be the only means to block Trump. That is the moral dilemma the party faces. We shouldn't block a nomination just because we don't like who won. The process must be played out as designed by law. That is the basis for a republic ! The rule of law is that foundation, without exceptions !
 This situation may fracture the republican party. It is truly a historic moment in time. This could prove to be a defining moment in American politics. The man that is vilified in the press, a man you hear few publically support just keeps winning. A controversial candidate ? One could call it no other, yet if he wins the nomination, we must allow that win to stand. I can see no other course of action. The opposition is going to be Hillary Clinton. She is not without controversy and baggage of her own. That she has supporters can not be denied, she is also winning the nomination from her party handily. The democratic party doesn't have an issue with that. This isn't 1968 when the democrats had the problem the republicans are facing today. Their convention then turned into a brawl ! Let's hope that doesn't happen at the republican convention.
 As for me, my personal thoughts, I am left scratching my head. I find it difficult to endorse Donald Trump but the alternative party has nothing to offer me either. I can only watch the process at this point. The Maryland primary isn't until April 26. I'll be certain to cast my ballot. It is going to be a difficult decision to make this year. Refusing to vote is refusing to be heard at all. I can't go without speaking. It is my hope that the process goes as intended. I will be very disappointed if any monkey business takes place. Is it even possible ?  Like many Americans I am a bit skeptical. My trust in politicians and the political system is under serious strain. The perception is the voice of the people is falling upon deaf ears. Donald Trump, whether you love him or hate him, seems to be the one listening. That is why his popularity is as great as it is. When you listen to folks you know what they want to hear. It is easy to tell them that ! It is basic phycology. Fortune tellers use that same technique. They listen to what you have to say and tell you what you want to hear. Mysterious isn't it ? Not really. I was a Navy recruiter for a few years. I can tell you this. I never lied to a single recruit to get them to join. What they heard me say wasn't always what I said,  but what they wanted to hear. I often used the phrase, if you qualify, to preface my answer. Can I fly a jet in the Navy ? If you qualify you can fly a Jet in the Navy. What is heard is, I can fly a jet. The fortune teller gets you to come back, the recruiter gets you to join, and Donald Trump gets your vote. So in the end all I can say is listen carefully to what is being said and vote accordingly. I'll be listening very closely I can tell you that ! I have made no decision yet !   

No comments:

Post a Comment