Friday, March 25, 2016

looking ahead

 Yesterday I went to get my eyes examined. Like a majority of the folks from my generation Doctor visits are few and far between. I believe we don't go for the routine stuff simply because that is the way we were raised. I don't recall my parents going to the doctors for anything that wasn't an immediate crisis of some type. When you got a toothache you went to the dentist, when you got injured you went to the doctor, and if you couldn't see it was time for the eye doctor. It was pretty much cut and dried. Doctor visits were expensive and inconvenient. For guys, it is also a sign of weakness. A great deal of the maladies of aging were just accepted as that, getting old. Not much can be done about getting old so why bother the doctors about that ? But yesterday I went because I need new glasses. And so I went through the process again.
 When I arrived I had to fill out the patient information form. I was, no surprise, a new patient. Reading down the list of possible ailments you could have, or could have had, or might get, is rather scary. I dutifully checked each box with the appropriate response, mostly no or none. The questions about whether anyone in your family has or has had, any number of problems is always a mystery to me. I understand the significance of asking but I am sorely uninformed about such matters. My family members don't talk about such things, it is personal. Then signing the " privacy " form and the obligatory form releasing the doctor from liability I return the clipboard full of papers to the receptionist. Glancing over it quickly she says, come with me.
 This same receptionist then checks the prescription on my current pair of glasses and does the glaucoma testing. Off to see the doctor. The doctor glances over my forms and says are you a new patient of mine ? I'm thinking, well yeah, that was the first question on the form. Then he asks if I have any medical issues not listed on the paper. I'm thinking again, what else could I have, that list was pretty extensive ! I respond with , nope.  I get the impression he really doesn't believe me as he says, you're 62 ? It was that questioning tone that lead me to believe he was incredulous as to my medical history. He asks what year I was born, almost like it was a pop quiz. We begin the actual eye exam. He is shining those bright lights in my eyes and going umm and ahh. Then he positions that set of lenses on my face and begins flipping them around. A quick series of, is this better. I wonder why all eye doctors do that in such a rapid fire manner. One or two, better or worse, pick one, hurry up ! I decide upon a set of lenses.
 Okay, so now we are winding this visit down. The consultation part begins. The doctor says my prescription has changed dramatically ! He has no explanation for this turn of events. My current glasses are too strong. That is when he begins to hypothesize about the reason. Maybe I'm getting to be diabetic, I am after all, over fifty. That is what he said ! Could be getting cataracts too, that happens very slowly and I am getting older ! Yup, he mentioned that again. The problem ? My eyes are improving. He asks about any family members that may have had any eye conditions and if they are still alive. Say what, are they alive ? Yeah, Mom is and I don't know anything about the condition of her eyes. Yes, Dad passed but he didn't die from poor eyesight ! At least I don't think that was the cause.
 Overall he was a nice guy and did seem concerned about my eyesight. Other than calling me old several times and being skeptical about my medical history I am satisfied. He did try to sell me a pair of glasses, his occupation so I understand that, and wished me well. I guess it was eighty dollars well spent. An investment in my vision. Really all I wanted was the prescription to order some new glasses with. I can get them online at a significant savings. In fact I ordered two pair. Should be good to go for another five years or so, if I make it that long. Maybe next time I won't need glasses at all ! That's something to look forward too.

No comments:

Post a Comment