Sunday, March 27, 2016

Born again

 Easter Sunday, a special day for sure. When I was a kid it was celebrated with Easter Baskets and new clothes. That was pretty much the deal. The fact that Jesus was risen was naturally stressed and the story told. Up early to receive those baskets from the bunny. Our dyed eggs were cracked and chocolate eaten. Then put on those new outfits and off to church with Mom. This was in the days of men wearing suits and the ladies wore dresses. Bonnets and white gloves completed the ladies attire. Easter Sunday services was a formal affair, in fact, going to church period, was a formal affair. Very solemn and very regimented. A feeling of comfort swept over you as the years passed and you became accustomed to the services. You knew what to expect and how to respond.
 I can remember our church getting a deacon. His job was to assist the Reverend. He was a younger fellow and led the youth group. It was quite the controversial thing at the time. I was one of those young people and so thought little of it, it was " cool " with me. He began to incorporate subtle changes to the routine. Mom and other " old " people would mumble about it, it not being respectful and all. Imagine playing a guitar in church ! Sitting on the steps in front of the altar ! Be lucky not to be struck by lightening. Why it is a sacrilege. Singing some kind of hippie song too, Kum Bye Ya  or something. I do recall when he proposed having a sunrise service for Easter. Seemed fitting enough to me, sunrise and Jesus rising from the dead. The thing was he was going to have it on the beach ! Yup, right there by the edge of the ocean, like a bunch of beatniks. Outdoors. Pretty radical proposal. How is a lady supposed to walk in that beach sand in a dress and heels, you tell me that ? And just what is the altar going to be ? A dory ? Maybe you could borrow one from those Lester boys. Church services on the beach. Yes that was quite the idea alright, and the Reverend approves of this ?
 I do remember going to the first service held on the beach. At least I think it was the first for our church, but maybe not. Anyway, it was different. I remember thinking it was more of a public spectacle than a reverent expression of faith. That is the way it seemed to me. I think we were the only ones at the beach though. Still it was such an alien environment for church services that I did feel self conscious about it. Prayer and praise should be conducted in the lords house, isn't that why we built the church in the first place ? If you are going to worship outdoors, like some Druid or something, what is the point ? When I was young you seldom saw anyone even pray over their meal in public. It seemed like a rather pompous display to me. More like a show than anything else.
 Well that was probably fifty years ago or more. Times change and the method of worship has too. In some cases the altar has been replaced with a stage. It is more about the show in my opinion. Fifty years ago you didn't go to church expecting to be entertained. No sir, you went there for instruction. It was a time to repent for your transgressions ! And let me tell you, transgressions are far worse than just being wrong or making a mistake. We didn't go to church to tell God how much we loved him, we went begging for forgiveness. Sure we said we loved him, he did after all have his son die for us, but we needed forgiveness. I told Mom and Dad I loved them too when looking for mercy or asking for something. I knew however that actions speak louder than words. Didn't do a whole lot of good to talk, or sing praises for that matter, if you hadn't acted right. When I went to church you were told you were a sinner ! Plain and simple, that is why you were there. Put on your finest clothes, enter the house of the lord respectfully and humbly. Listen to the instruction offered by the Reverend and beg forgiveness. You can celebrate later.
 Well all of that is just a memory. A tale of the days gone by. It was my youth in a time a place. Funny how you remember certain things about growing up and others you just seem to forget about. I was in the choir at church and then served on the altar. In a way I guess I was part of the show. I didn't think of it that way back then. I just thought it was better than sitting in the pew and listening. I got to stand up and sing wearing fancy robes. Following that I help serve Holy Communion. I felt important. Also I figured it gave me an edge. Maybe my transgression wouldn't be quite as bad seeing as how I was acting right. Well at least one day of the week I did anyway. Each Sunday was like a resurrection ! Happy Easter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment