Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Restoring America

 Today is known as super Tuesday in the political world. It can be a turning point in the election cycle no doubt about that. I hope the voting comes without incident. It is getting to be a bit contentious out there. The discussion  is whether the American people are just frustrated or angry. I think the American people are frustrated and that has led to the anger we are seeing. No matter which side of the political spectrum you fall on, I think that is a true statement. I also think it is a reflection of our society in general. I should correct that to say, a reflection of what our society is becoming. I have been saying it for some time now, people are generally adopting a more aggressive attitude. I see it every day in a hundred subtle ways and it troubles me. It is  a lack of respect that breeds this aggression is my opinion. The lack of respect begins at home.
  Interesting is the definition of respect. The dictionary says it is admiration of a person or quality. That isn't what I normally think of when I hear the word respect, I think that admiration results from respecting the other person. So just what is this respect thing then ? I believe it is a attitude developed over time. It is a method of interaction with others. It begins at home when we are little children. When I was a child, and it continues to this day, I always called Mom and Dad, Mom and Dad. I didn't even know they had other names for a few years ! I didn't say sir and maam, but it was implied. In my neck of the woods other adults were referred to as Mr. or Mrs. If they were close friends of the family that changed to Aunt and Uncle regardless of any real relationship. Respect is also a close relative of fear. The fear stems not from the person you are disrespecting, but the fear that you are doing wrong. It is a moral transgression in my mind. To disrespect someone is just improper behavior and it shall be punished. The punishment may indeed come from the one being disrespected in the form of a punch to the face ! The real punishment will come when you stand in judgement and the wise man does not defer just actions. That is what I was taught about respect.
 The American people are frustrated. They are frustrated with this lack of respect and have become angry. We are angry that our elected officials are failing to uphold standards accepted for generations as correct. Some of these are contained in codes. Take for example the US code in regards to the Flag. It is not a law and you can not be punished for violating that code. In my youth that code was closely followed as a means of respect. Today that code is literally trampled upon every day ! Ant attempt to enforce that code is being viewed as a breach of our civil rights ! The attitude is, I do not have to adhere to that code. That is true, you are not bound by law to do so, but you should feel bound by tradition. To do otherwise incites the anger of those who do. That is only one example and there are many more. These are just viewed as " progress " to those that wish to redefine traditional values. The ones working are becoming frustrated by those that refuse to work. The ones refusing to work are becoming frustrated by those insisting that they do. And why is that ? Its' root cause lies in the values we were taught as a child. Respect for self ! That is the central message I was taught and my generation. Charity is not something to be sought after or thought of as a  right. For many of us that still believe that, it is a source of frustration that others do not understand that concept. Yes it is called pride. Pride isn't a bad thing. Notice how quickly " Pride " is used to justify improper or immoral conduct, as if citing that quality makes those actions correct. Why is that ? Because pride is a good thing that's why. To associate with pride lends credence to your actions. Pride is not respect however and should not be confused with that. Respect is just actions. Pride is being unashamed of your actions. Being unashamed does not make the action correct ! Refusing to accept that you are wrong does not mean you are right. That is the frustration  I am writing about. That is the source of this anger.
 I could go on about this but must leave for work. I hope some get the message I am trying to convey. I don't expect anything to change as a result of this writing but hope it causes some to think. There is a lot of frustration and anger right now. Some will call it hate. Indeed, that emotion is being elicited to gain advantage. Listen to the rhetoric for just a few minutes, choose whichever candidate you please, and the message is the same. Vote for me and I will restore America. Restore, an interesting word. To restore is to take something back to its' original condition. There was a time in America when we taught the qualities of respect and correct social behaviors. There was a time when we followed the " code. " It didn't need to be written down and enforced by rule of law, it was written upon our conscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment