Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The braggart and the baby

 Well apparently the Brits are at it again. They want to ban Donald Trump from their country because they don't like what he says. They didn't like what Americans had to say in 1775 either and started a war over it. They didn't mind so much when we went " over there " to help out against the Germans though. Nobody was complaining when he was going to invest millions of Yank dollars in Scotland. But I guess the Donald has gone too far with his concern for the Muslim problem. The English are offended ! They are arguing in their halls of Parliament about this vile man. Ban him ! Invite him ! Take him to the tower of London and chain him up. Speaks volumes though when an entire foreign nation is listening to what you say. In my opinion they are doing nothing more than lending a bit more credence to his rhetoric. It could lead to an awkward situation should the Donald become president, however unlikely that event is. I certainly hope ISIS doesn't do any bad stuff in England to prove Trump right in his assessment of the extremist groups out there. Talk about egg on your face.
 In other news the Oscars are being boycotted because of a lack of diversity. Ninety four percent of the members of the voting body are " old white people. " They are also Hollywood liberals. I know that's a broad statement to make but I'm quite certain the majority of the six thousand members are wealthy liberals. Will Smith, among others, say they are boycotting because for the second year in a row no " films or actors of color " received nominations. Did it occur to him that perhaps the members thought none were deserving ? Listen, just because you are a minority doesn't guarantee you a nomination or a win for that matter. Is it prejudice ? If so, how do you explain all the others " of color " that have received nominations or awards in the past. The number of voters in the Academy hasn't changed nor the members themselves that cast those votes. Were they prejudiced when those minorities won but became prejudiced over the last two years ? That doesn't seem likely. Not that I really care you wins or loses or receive nominations, I could care less, it is not my profession, but this boycott is coming across as a bunch of spoiled brats whining. News flash, your race does not guarantee nomination or awards. Whether a film or actor is that good is purely a subjective thing. I hear;  I didn't get a nomination, it must be prejudice ! Maybe you ain't that good, Bub ! It's just an opinion.
 I watched the news for " entertainment " this morning. I must say I was amused. The British are mad at Donald Trump and Will Smith is boycotting because he didn't get a nomination. The braggart and the Baby. With Trump it is just an amazing thing that he has generated so much interest. He has certainly started a conversation that many are uncomfortable with. A majority will just dismiss him as a distraction. I do think he will fall by the wayside eventually. Bucking the political establishment is an almost insurmountable task, even for a billionaire. Will Smith and his minions may have a valid argument to make but come off looking foolish. Really, you are going to boycott because you are not nominated. I didn't get a " star " on my paper. That's not fair, I'm a minority. The cause is what ? To receive a nomination or an award that holds what value ? Are you making the film for that purpose ?  I demand that you tell me you love me ! Didn't Sally Field already do that bit ? She didn't boycott though, all the years she wasn't recognized. I'm betting she thought she should have been nominated or won long before she actually did. That is called having a little class. Some would even say, pride. My advice to Will Smith and his bunch, show a little class. Walk into the event with your head held high and take satisfaction in the accomplishments of your fellow actors. To " force " the issue is to cheapen the result. This not a boycott, this a bullying ! I'm taking my ball and going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment