Friday, January 22, 2016

Surprised ?

 Do you like surprises ? I know, it all depends. Well they say a blizzard is heading my way and to get prepared. That lead me to think about what it would have been like in the old days, you know before any accurate prediction could be made. I can only think it was , surprise, you got two foot of snow ! It must have made life more exciting though. I've been hearing about this snow event that is almost certainly going to strike for last two days. I'm already tired of hearing about it. It is getting annoying.
I will very surprised if I remain housebound for a full day. What I mean is that a store isn't open that I can't reach. Oh, the selection at the store may not be as varied as I like but I'm certain food items will be available, along with beer and cigarettes !
 Before we had television and radio to receive the news of weather, we had the telegraph. That was how you got reports of the weather. It wasn't a prediction exactly, more of a reporting. It is something we take for granted now but it wasn't until the 1970's that we started using computer technology and Doppler radar to predict weather. Before any of that you just had to keep your weather eye out. Changes in the sky and cloud formations were the staple  of prediction. That along with an aching in your bones or your corn acting up ! Strange, this year I haven't seen a single wooly worm. I don't know how large that brown stripe around its' middle must be. I also didn't notice the squirrels acting up. Wonder if they have been notified ?
 All the stores are bustling. The store owners are pleased for now but will pay later. Sure sales are large now, but afterwards the stores will be empty for a few days. At least for the grocery stores it more or less balances out. The ones seeing the most benefit will be the hardware stores. Those " seasonal " items will fly out the door. Big ticket items too, like generators and snow blowers. My largest concern is the loss of electricity. My home is all electric ! No heat and can't cook is a bummer. Well even if it does it won't be for long. I'm quite certain I will survive. Can always sit in the car with the heat on. I know, that's not safe, but we sure did it when I was a kid.
 My grandson Mark has a birthday tomorrow. A birthday blizzard ! It will be something he will remember and tell his kids about. All of his soccer events have been canceled and so he isn't happy. Being fifteen he didn't want a party. If he is stuck inside with just his sister and Mom and Dad it really isn't going to be a good day for him. Surprise ! I probably won't see him for his birthday and that will be a first. The wife and I have been blessed to be with him every year for his special day. Well he is growing up and now a blizzard is the impediment to us being with him. I always figured he would be off to college before that happened.
 I'm as ready as I'm gonna get for this event. I think I would prefer it being a surprise. If we didn't know and rely upon these forecasts we would have already been ready. All this high tech prediction leads us to being overly confident. We aren't prepared. In the old days we knew that winter was coming and we prepared for that eventuality ! Now we look at it as a possibility. We have become complacent. Not a good thing when dealing with mother nature. She can be a bit cantankerous ! That could be said about our lives in general these days, we have become complacent. We are not prepared for the unexpected. We should be though, winter comes every year and spring will follow. Be safe out there and enjoy the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment