Sunday, January 17, 2016

Ancestors, in color

 I have my corner of the room. It is in this corner that I write my thoughts and share my memories. I have my pictures on the wall. It is almost like a gallery. Well I think it is time to rearrange the gallery pieces and add a few more. I want to keep it interesting. I have grown quite accustomed to the present layout. Admittedly not many see this gallery as I do not have many visitors. I am not big on entertaining. That doesn't mean it shouldn't stay interesting to me. The changes I will make will be subtle ones,they will be to others anyway. In our memories things are fixed. Like my grandmothers home, I always see it in the same way, unchanged over the years. My childhood home is remembered that way also. Strange the way we remember things. It may be that the grandkids will remember Granpas' gallery when they grow old and relate that to their children. Their attention is drawn to it every now and again and they question. I am pleased when that happens spontaneously because I believe that is how we learn the best. That is to say, when we take a self interest to find out. We tend to remember better for some reason. It really is like a class in school, did you like it or not ? Learning shouldn't be a chore to be accomplished.
 Memories are one of our greatest possessions. They are also something that should be shared. It is like love, that should also be shared. It is how both are kept alive. My little gallery now displays pictures of my parents and their parents. Yes they are ancestors. Hard to think of your parents and aunts and uncles as ancestors. It does make them sound old. Great Great Grandfather Terry, the civil war veteran, he's an ancestor and I readily accept that but Dad ? Well, I think this time I may add a few pictures of myself from younger days. It seems a bit strange to include myself among the ancestors. I have my brother and sister there but they are older than me. I sometimes find it hard to remember certain little things from the past. Oh, it's nothing important just details, but I have those reminders. Old pictures can start conversations. Conversations teach if one participates. You can learn things about yourself !
 I will have to cull through my old photographs and see which ones make the cut. It can be difficult to select at times. I have my favorites. There are others that tell a little story and sadly I have some that are silent. Those are ones I took on vacation somewhere but have forgotten where. You know the kind, you were interested in that object or view when the shot was taken but years later it is, what ? I will not discard those photos but I don't know what to do with them. I started this gallery with mostly black and white photographs but some color ones have crept in. I'll be adding a few more color ones this time around. I remember when we didn't have color photography but most of my shots are in color. My first camera was a Polaroid Swinger and it was black and white. I don't have any pictures I took with that gem though. The addition of more color will change the ambience of the gallery. Perhaps it will be a bit more attractive. Just as those neon lights draw the crowd maybe it will draw more interest. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment